5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 12 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Gelato: Italian Ice Creams, Sorbetti, and Granite (Paperback)
I bought this as a present for my father who had recently acquired an ice cream machine and wanted to make Italian-style ice cream. This book offers a good range of recipes, including gelato, sorbets, granitas and a range of accompaniments - such as chocolate meringues and brioche. Overall, all recipes that we have attempted have been great successes, especially the stracciatella gelato (which might have been the best ice cream I have ever eaten had it not been ever so slightly too sweet for my palate). One big plus with these recipes was that unlike many gelato recipes, these require very little preparation time (no standing over them for 10min, very carefully monitoring them).

The only slight issue is that this book does not offer the enormous range offered by some cookbooks, which has lead to my father and I now considering getting another ice cream cookbook(such as 'The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas and Sweet Accompaniments'). On the other hand, this book did keep us busy for two years... And if you value quality over quantity, then this book is probably for you.

Overall, a brilliant buy which I highly recommend to anyone who is new (or not!) to ice cream making, and a great present for anyone.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Aug 2012 18:58:13 BDT
Francisca says:
Does it have metric measurements?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2012 16:13:46 BDT
Marie says:
No, it doesn't - it mostly uses cups as measures. Although this can be a bit of a nuisance, I personally wouldn't let this put me off buying an otherwise great book :-)

Posted on 17 Aug 2012 20:03:32 BDT
M says:
Buy Lola's ice cream book it is brilliant

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2012 22:33:01 BDT
Francisca says:
Thanks M but could you maybe tell me why you think that Lola's book is so good? And which ice cream maker do you have, do you advise it? I have done a lot of research but I don't know what to buy!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2012 11:47:26 BDT
Marie says:
Although this question wasn't for me, I'd like to say that the 'Cuisinart ICE30' model which I own is great. It can hold a large amount of ice-cream, is fast and has never caused any problems at all in the two years we have had it. On the other hand, I would strongly advise not to get the 'Kenwood IM200', which stopped working completely after only a few months for no apparent reason...

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2012 17:36:13 BDT
Francisca says:
Thanks Marie, I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to answer my question! It is so important to hear what machine people have and why they like it... or not! Funny enough I had marked the Kenwood IM200 as no good on my list because of many comments I read. It is also very cheap in the UK but funny enough a lot more expensive in mainland Europe. And the bowl seems to be quite small. There are also quite a few negative comments about the Cuisinart ICE30 but then, yesterday I went to a shop in Switzerland and the shop assitant told me that nowadays it all depends on your luck. You can get a good machine or you can get a bad machine of the exact same brand. Odd.... I am also interested in the Krups, especially one which comes with two bowls. I hope to be able to make a choice soon and.... that I am lucky with whichever machine I choose because nowadays that seems to be the most important: either you are lucky either you are not, quality is not consistent anymore!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›