3.0 out of 5 stars Potentially a very good product but can be very frustrating., 28 Jan 2012
This review is from: Sony SMPN200 Network Media and Internet Streamer (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
A neat little box which on the surface is easy to set up. Plug in the power connect the HDMI enter your network password and off you go. It gives easy access to BBC iPlayer, Channel 5 player, Love Film and a number of other sources. Here is my first gripe, Sony has set its self up as a gate keeper so you cannot access the ITV or Channel 4 player nor can you access Netflix. These companies have to agree to content partner agreements which may or may not happen.

My second gripe is the difficulty accessing content on your PC or NAS. It has taken me a while to sort out my NAS to ensure I can stream my music and films. I did not have this problem with other PCs on my network. I don't actually know what finally resolved the issue but it is now working. unfortunately Sony support was useless. I also had to set up various approvals on my PC before I could gain access.

The third gripe is that the Sony media software must be set up to search for particular folders. I could not play the films from my PC until I transferred them into the' My Video' folder. I am also still having problems accessing my music videos despite moving them to a video folder. This media player has the potential to be a great product if you are able to work around the difficulties.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Apr 2013 11:53:57 BDT
Graeme says:
I saw this item highlighted and my immediate thought was Sony was the last company I'd go to for a Media server .... they spend 99% of the effort trying to stop you playing stuff in case it might me illegal [tending to mean , don't have a contract with Sony] somewhere .. I have a Sony TV which can do all sorts of clever streaming ... but I need to have PC plugged into and ignore the Sony add-on just to view a video I record on my phone.

Posted on 2 May 2013 14:44:39 BDT
Anon says:
Install Serviio on any PC and this will solve your problem, I use for streaming to my mobile devices and "(Sony Bluray Boxes which uses part of the Sony SMPN100 engine)". Problems solved. Try it, if your need help on this, drop a message.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2013 15:03:12 BDT
Graeme V. says:
I assume you are referring to the 'on the fly transcoding' Serviio provides (thanks for the reference BTW, not heard of it before) ... but if I transcode it I probably don't need this box at all:-) My TV can do DNLA (again a Sony) but format are so restricted nothing plays ... wonder if my NAS can run Serviio?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›