1.0 out of 5 stars Not A Good Buy, 16 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Braun Series 3 340s-4 Wet & Dry Electric Shaver (Personal Care)
SUMMARY - I'm glad I got a good discount on the RRP as otherwise I would be really disapointed. - Why aren't (cheaper) mains only shavers available any more? - The Series 3 appears to be well made but it is more bulky and shaves less well than the Braun Flex Integrals which I have used for about 15 years. - Why is no cary case supplied?
PS - I have today (18th Dec. 2011) read the reviews of the Braun 380 and there are comments that it is better performing than the 340. With the discounts currently on offer it is only a few £s more expensive. So if you still want a Braun, that may be the one to opt for.

I have been a Braun shaver user for several decades. (I tried a Phillips once but it was useless because it took far too long in time to achieve a shave as smooth as my previous single foil Braun. I'm glad I bought it at Boots as they allowed me to replace it with my first Braun Flex Integral without a quibble). I have been using Braun Flex Integrals for about, 15 years and my only complaint was the replacement cutters which wore out in not much more than a month. But that was about 10 years ago and more recent relacement cutter / foils I have bought seem to last longer but they aint cheap! (It is nonsence when they say you need to change them every 18 months - if used daily on my stubble they wear out much quicker and you need to consider these costs when you buy the shaver).

Now: I have an old Flex Integral which I was keeping in my traveling kit. I always like to keep a spare shaver in my traveling kit to ease the aggravation of packing and its always handy to have a spare. My daily use Flex Integral was worn out and eventually stopped working. So I went on line to buy another but found they had been replaced by the Series 3.
A) My first disapointment was to find that there are no mains only shavers any more - why not? I don't need to shave away from a power socket and I resent having to pay for a feature I don't need.
B) Why on earth would I want to shave in a ahower - wouldn't that wash the pre-shave lotion (Old Spice Pre-Electric, which I recomend) off my face? Its daft.
C) I don't know why but the Series 3 cuts my stubble less keenly and needs a longer shaving time to achieve a good result than my Flex Integral. That would really annoy me if I was still rushing off to work every morning but its not so serious now that I am working from home.
D) Why is there no carying case supplied? If I wanted to take it with me on a holiday / business trip; the lack of a case would mean the shaver, base, chord and brush would all be floating individually in my luggage. Fortunately, I still have a spare Flex Integral case I could use.
E) It is more bulky than a Flex Integral, presumably due to the battery space inside and if you needed to take it away with you for more than a few days you might think it wise to take the chord and base too; in case you needed to recharge it. That would add to the bulk and with no carry case to keep it together it might add to your displeasure too.

CONCLUSION - Its does the job but it could and should have been a lot better as it performs less well than its perdecessor.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jan 2012 17:30:33 GMT
John Garner says:
People forget the other disadvantages of rechargeables - the battery doesn't last forever, my flex integral might be about dead but I've never had to replace a (non-existent) internal battery due to it not holding its charge anymore after a few years. Think about mobile phones, any more than 3-4yrs old are almost unusable without a new battery. I want a longer life than that for my next shaver, my current mains-powered Braun is 15yrs easily (with exception of a replacement head >5 years ago for ~£20).

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2012 18:09:18 GMT
I completely agree with you John. I am still dissatisfied with my new Braun. It performs very poorly at shaving my face compared to the Braun Flex Integral which I still have in my traveling kit and which I used during my Christmas and New Year holiday. I can only think that Braun have decided there is a market for a powered shaver you can use in the bath or shower and have developed the cutters and foil for that purpose and in doing so have produced a shaver which works less effectively under normal dry shaving conditions than its predecessor. I am already thinking of replacing it with another make.

Posted on 24 Oct 2012 15:30:43 BDT
Phantom says:
This is the worse shaving implement I've ever owned, if I wanted to shave in the shower I'd use a wet shaver far better than a battery one.
And as to dry shaving unless you have 1/2 hour to spare this is crap.
Would not give this 1 star.------ NOT RECOMENDED

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2012 15:52:19 BDT
You are correct in every respect. I have returned my Braun Series 3 to Amazon. I am still using my old Flex Integral to good effect. I cannot find anything on the current market to replace it with. Advice to all - read the 1 star and 2 star reviews. If there are a significant number of them - steer well clear of the product.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›