5.0 out of 5 stars Supernatures Comedown, 25 Mar 2008
This review is from: Seventh Tree (Audio CD)
Although respecting the force that is Goldfrapp, I never really took much notice, OK so 'Felt Mountain' is beautiful and the two disco/electro albums in betweem were pretty good, but nothing really compares to how beautiful,tranquil and quirky this album is.

1.Clowns - A beautiful lullaby-inspired incoherent folk song, OK so maybe folk is probably the wrong 'genre' to brand this as but I love it I have to say, if u try and find lyrics for it on the net, they're way off,personally I don't think you need to know what shes on about, its beautiful as is and the drunk-like vocals just adds the mystery. 10/10

2.Little Bird - At first I wasn't too impressed, I really wasn't I felt there wasnt really anything original that hadn't been done, but listening to it more you kinda fall into the deliciousness of it, again a very sparse song with alot of ornithological references, possibly about freedom and emancipation of ones self. 8/10

3.Happiness - The second official single, and what a great one at that, a little more up-beat with more of an electronic vibe than the previous tracks, also I think there is some slight Beatles inspiration particularly "Strawberry Fields Forever" a great,catchy song will definitely have you singing along. 9/10

4.Road To Somewhere - Taking it back almost to the days of 'Felt Mountain' I think this is one of the most beautiful songs shes ever sung, It does have a very eurphoric dreamy feel to it and the way she sings "Listen to the radio" almost slurring it, is amazing it gives me a great sense of comfort and total relaxation. 10/10

5.Eat Yourself - Even though this is definitely one of the best tracks, I doubt it will be a single release (unless jazzed up a bit), very 60's sounding I felt that out of all of the songs this really opitomises the album cover. So tranquil but also with a slight vulnerability to it,It's also quite a sad song, I felt anyway, and it some parts of the song it seems like her voice breaks up a little, perfect. 10/10

6.Some People - Quite a deep and profound song, she sings about all different peoples mentalities, she also slightly pokes fun out of herself with the "Ask how old I am" line, regarding the slight mystery of Alison's real age. For me I wasn't overly crazy about this song, but it's a grower. 8/10

7.A&E - The amazing first single. OK so alot of people think this song is about a suicide attempt/drug overdose, But I really don't think so I've always thought this song is about her being stood up by someone and she gets upset about this so tries to drown her sorrows,resulting in being in hospital, so maybe in a way it has a link to suicide or maybe people are just morbid!.Overall though, even though it is a single release it's the glue that holds the album together I think although there is alot of strong songs, this one is the highlight. 10/10

8.Cologne Cerrone Houdini - I think this is beautiful, the strings and the overall lushness is amazing has a Bond Theme quality to it.I love the way she used this as a metaphoric idea about an ex-boyfriend who tries to escape from as many situations regarding thier relationship as possible, resulting in the 'Houdini' title. I love this 10/10

9.Caravan Girl - The most upbeat song on the album. Possibly about a traveller who falls in love with men on purpose and then disappears. The guitars and the whole band feel of the song really reflects Goldfrapp as a "Band" although I'm sure she is more comfortable surrounded by the electronic world, she can definitely pull off the band feel, great song. 10/10

10.Monster Love - A nice way to end the album, maybe a bit on the downer side but I like that, and I think it does have a connection to 'Clowns' and It works really well if you have the album on repeat. The lyrics are quite deep I felt, about intense love being given to a vulnerable person, all in all a fantastic way to round off the album. 10/10

Top 5
1.A&E
2.Cologne Cerrone Houdini
3.Eat Yourself
4.Clowns
5.Happiness

Just Buy It GOLDFRAPP TANS!

[Add comment]