5.0 out of 5 stars The recipes are far too complicated for any normal cook to follow, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Too Many Chiefs Only One Indian (Hardcover)
Too Many Chiefs Only One Indian is such a cool name, but at the same time very appropriate and like his persona very tongue in cheek.

How fantastic that a chef of Punjabi origin is cooking full-on modern British food at the very pinnacle of world-class cuisine alone makes you proud to be British.

Now I have relocated back to the UAE it gives me hope to guide a whole new generation of young chefs from all kinds of backgrounds and cultures, just like White Heat did for me many many moons ago, as a young budding chef (I read the book then worked under the genius when he was still in the Kitchen). Marco gave me hope and made me believe that I could be a success with hard work and dedication to our fantastic craft. I truly think for young chefs today this book could leave the same legacy.

Inside the book, there is a great forward by Heston Blumenthal (I would have loved a full intro from the Midlands other great chef but their are some stories of Mr Parnell and co so I will not elaborate) an amazing collage of pictures of Sat's travels. I also loved the way it shows the team spirit created by Mr Bains, his wife and also his dedicated & well seasoned head chef, Great to have this support its vital.

The insight into the workings of Restaurant Sat Bains is invaluable to young chefs wanting to know how a master of his art works. The development area and the work his team do on a daily basis is very inspiring. The photography is not only beautiful, but gritty too, just like White Heat but with out the cigarettes...

The recipes are far too complicated for any normal cook to follow and so they should be, that's why I will not go into detail (sure the normal "Arty Farty" crowd will find the review unhelpful as normal and vote accordingly)- this is a book for the professionals. The recipes - inspired by the area around Sat's restaurant in Nottingham - show the kitchen's awareness of local produce right outside their doorstep and are exciting to read. Also British classics like ham, egg and peas, which won Sat the Great British Menu, shows the kitchen is not afraid to re-invent old classics.

I totally fell in love with this book and could not put it down. I only got a few hours sleep the night I received my copy - From my Rock my better half for Christmas ( I loved the golden ticket idea but did not win, very Willie Wonka nice touch)
I think you will do too its inspiring and totally addictive enjoy as I have....Thanks

[Add comment]