5.0 out of 5 stars This one's for you!, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Consequences (Audio CD)
I never usually comment on PH albums although I have nearly all the PH and VDGG catalogue. Reviews were nearly always better written by others, and although I always did try to explore some of his more difficult songs for meaning I was frequently found wanting. I'd habitually console myself with the fact that I was listening to a lyrical genius and the ultimate voice in contemporary music, therefore not all of his concepts were immediately forthcoming. However.....

After a few listens I became more aware that this album was reaching out and touching my consciousness like no other PH recording. The more I listened the more I realised that the lyrical concepts were pulling me in on a personal level making me confront the consequences of my own actions on an analytical level. The dreadful social blunders, the innocent remarks taken the wrong way, the unwanted attachments from people I wanted only to be friends were resurfacing again and prompting me to wake up screaming even though I wasn't sleeping.

After an inconspicuous start, the album increased its hold and intensity. Feeling more uneasy, it was as though I was being stalked. Eventually I was cornered, they all got to me, but these got me the most....

"All the tiredness" is an acknowledgement of the inevitable. The wick not yet burned down but flickering and unsteady. We're not all there yet, but we will be.

A tap on the shoulder then pointed me in the direction of Charles Bridge in Prague that is aligned with statues of the saints in "A perfect pose". This is a more mysterious song that perhaps warns against living an unauthentic life. Better to live your life genuinely, to make your mistakes and take the consequences rather than fritter it away in some dilettante existence seeking the unattainable. Anyway, that's just my take on it!

"Bravest face" clearly indicates that an unauthentic life is not an option. At first it appears to be strictly a personal PH pre-concert experience but we've all been in positions where we have to face unavoidable situations that involve no other option but to see it through no matter how tough, but we were never more alive!

"Sharpened scissors" could be a sequel to "Like Veronica" a possible consequence of all abuse going too far. I think this must be the most terrifying song he has ever written! Emerging from behind the settee I had to admit to myself that the abused and those that wronged them are real and living hidden amongst us as a consequence of our own actions. That could have been me!

For me, this is a lyrical (and instrumental) masterpiece. Yes, he has written more intellectual concepts but I have never encountered songs that affect me so profoundly as these. How can it be more intense, how can it be more raw and confessional? Since his near fatal heart attack PH has written some of his best ever work. It seems to me that he is writing every album as though it were his last.

`A run of luck' is a top-drawer tour de force. When it's all said and done whether we are the angel, killer or refugee all of us are subject to the run of luck that life ultimately comes down to. Almost funereal sounding and pulling us together on a symbiotic level we can all only live life with integrity and wait till the `wicks burned up'. If this is his last, the soundtrack to my life will be over, but I won't be the only one to feel that loss. When the flame eventually does go out, don't ask for whom the bell tolls, with this album at least, it tolls for thee.....

.... Can't wait for the next one!!!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]