2.0 out of 5 stars Buy it ONLY if you don't own it in DVD, 11 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Godfather Coppola Restoration [Blu-ray] [1972] (Blu-ray)
First, I must say I believe this is the best trilogy in the history of cinema, with Godfather I and Godfather II among the 5 best movies ever.

So, if you are planning to purchase the trilogy for the first time, don't hesitate, go for it.

Take into account, nonetheless, that in terms of image quality there is no difference between the Blu-ray and DVD versions. So I strongly recommend you to go for the DVD version unless you find the one in Blu-ray cheaper (unlikely for now).

This is a heads up for those who, like me, love these movies, already own copies in DVD, and expect to find in the blu-ray version even a marginal increase in image quality. If you purchase the BR version with that purpose you will be disappointed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Jul 2010 12:52:22 BDT
g4cube says:
I disagree with the review i have both the dvd and blu-ray versions and while i have only just watch the first disc it is a lot better image wise. There are a few scenes that are no better but 99% of them are. Do note though i do have a full HD tv so that would help.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2011 16:18:56 GMT
F. Vial says:
thank you for the remark. maybe Sherlock the door is watching the bluray on a non HDTV...

Posted on 15 Feb 2011 13:54:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Feb 2011 13:59:48 GMT
Andy says:
Thanks for the DVD vs. Bluray comparison. I came here to find out that answer to that very question as I had the DVD set and was wondering if it was worth going Bluray. I won't now.

...But then I see another review claiming it is better... I have a HDTV 3D tv. Will it make a difference? I need a strong argument so I don't get slapped down by the 'Boss' (Don Wifey :-)).

Agreeing with all the reviewers without doubt Godfather I and II rank numero uno on my shelf with III close. Get It Now!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2011 13:35:42 GMT
AndyM says:
Why not rent a blu ray of one of them to see if you can tell of any improvement in the quality before buying?

Posted on 16 Mar 2011 16:10:56 GMT
D. Schulten says:
I dont agree at all. I have both dvd and blu-ray and the blu-ray is much, much better.
What equipment do you have?

Posted on 7 Jul 2011 16:30:02 BDT
Well, good you ask but I wouldn't be so stupid as to buy the blu-ray version if I hadn't the proper equipment. I own a sony lcd full-hd 40 inches tv set and a panasonic blu-ray player (and the PS3).

I have ordered a Panasonic TC-P55VT30 to replace my old Sony KDL-40W2000 and I'll post an update to my review afterwards

Posted on 15 Jul 2011 23:24:14 BDT
Kashif says:
I cant believe what I am reading. Guys please note there is a major difference of picture quality between the DVD and Blu-Ray version. The BD has the quality to die for, its like watching The Godfather series as never before. Buy it and u will not be disappointed.

Posted on 15 Aug 2012 20:03:47 BDT
Kashif, you don't say if you have an HDTV so your opinion is only half useful.

I have watched BR on an old flat screen and it has been excellent but I don't know if that applies to all BR and as I have GF on DVD already, why take a chance?

I hope Sherlock la porte will kindly let us know how he gets on with it on his new TV, anyway.

Posted on 16 Aug 2012 19:21:34 BDT
zackman says:
how can blu-ray not be better than the dvd? its 1080p compared to the low-res of dvd - thats what blu-ray is all about.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2012 16:53:25 BDT
just check out the review at bluray.com to find all the answers... 5/5
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (453 customer reviews)

44.99 21.75