3.0 out of 5 stars Works well - but is it necessary?, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Note - I received this free as part of the Amazon Vine program - I am reviewing it based on value for money, quality and so on - I am therefore not applying buyer's remorse or bias!

This isn't actually the top end unit Philips make (that's the Diamond brush) however it's pretty high up there.
If you are determined to have all the features, and the price doesn't matter, buy it - it an excellent brush and all the bits work together.

Still reading? Okay - the problem with this unit is that the cheaper brushes - without the UV - are very very good, and much cheaper. This unit adds a revised handset and the UV lamp. I'll cover both.

As a general comment Sonicare brushes are excellent. I used Oral-B for years, then changed to these and wouldn't go back. Cleaner teeth, amazing battery life - these are excellent tooth brushes.

This brush unit however seems a bit... coarse. The finish is rougher than the soft touch models I've had previously and the rollstop has sharper edges. Nit-picking, sure. It's also seems MUCH more powerful (and noisier) than the other brushes - but I have no idea why. It has various modes, none of which I suspect I'll use (as this is how it's gone with my current multi-mode brush).

The UV works - but I can't help question the point of it. I've brushed my teeth for 30+ years without UV sanitisation. I'm still alive, never been ill, nor ever had a green toothbrush - so what's the point, other than it looks pretty when it's on? I don't think it's worth the money, especially as it's another thing to clean and replace when the bulb goes (UV loses effectiveness over time).

This still suffers the same problem I've found with other units - under the brush and where the charger plugs in are prone to staying wet and growing 'things'. I wash and leave it to dry, however it still is a problem.

Overall, if you don't have an existing brush, this is a good purchase - but definitely look at the cheaper models, without the UV and the extra modes - they clean brilliantly well and all the brush heads are interchangeable - you're not losing anything by getting a cheaper handset. Save the money and buy the more expensive brush heads.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jul 2013 19:04:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jul 2013 19:08:35 BDT
Cheaper models in the range remove 2x more plaque than manual brushing, Flexcare and DiamondClean remove 7x more plaque than manual brushing, so buying a cheaper model won't achieve the same results. Also the point of the sanitizer is not to prevent you dying from germs but to improve the effectivness of brushing your teeth. The purpose of brushing is to remove plaque/bacteria from your teeth, the more that is removed the less chance of decay. Putting a brush in your mouth that has been cleaned by the sanitizer makes more sense than one that has had bacteria multiplying on it all day as you are not reintroducing more of the thing you are trying to get rid of.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2013 19:19:07 BDT
DWB1873 says:
You can still get "7x" effective models for less money.

Also, some of the difference is down to the brush heads - which you can buy seperately.

Sorry. I will stick with my view. I think if money is no object it's great, if not, there are much cheaper brushes with equal results in the Philips range.

I've used both 2x and 7x handsets. I challenge you to notice any difference when used with the same brush head in 'clean' mode.

Re the UV. Seems you've bought into the marketing 100%, so little point arguing, but I've got no cavities, no gum problems etc, in 30 years of using normal, then oral-B and now these. All without UV.

It's a Nice to have, not a necessity.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2013 19:35:47 BDT
Thanks for the quick reply! I was just popping back to ask if you ment the Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush HX9112/02
for £70 but you got there before me.I've not bought into the hype, I'm interested in the price/pottenger perspective on cavities, i'm just pointing out what the logic is supposed to be not wether its necessary or not. I was wondering if the Diamond clean brush heads would work with other models so I appreciate you mentioning that in you review, its worth considering.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 12:07:48 BDT
Cheaper models dont have intuitive pressure sensor and this is important for people who never use a sonic toothbrush .I am one of them :( . I just bought this because of that feature .

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2014 18:40:20 BDT
DWB1873 says:
Hello Fomicescu,

You are correct. My main criticism is not the brush unit. It's the UV. I think it's pointless (and mine has now, in fact, broken - which vindicates this view in my opinion).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›