ARRAY(0xb60ba534)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning production - both in recording quality and artistry!, 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: Minkus: La Bayadere [Blu-ray] [2011] [2010] (Blu-ray)
I have the excellent Paris Opera Ballet version of La Bayadere but that recording was filmed prior to HD and the picture quality suffers accordingly. The subsequent Blu-ray version is only marginally better. However, this new Royal Ballet production is absolutely stunning, both in recording quality and from an artistic perspective. The colours of the costumes are absolutely sumptuous, with a pin sharp picture and fabulous sound recording - as we have come to expect from Opus Arte productions.

Tamara Rojo, Carlos Acosta and Marianela Nunez - a dream cast! They are all fabulous including all the supporting artists. They are all so good and I especially enjoyed Jose Martin who gave a stunning performance as the Bronze Idol in the final act - (see Cover picture). This is quite a lavish production and there are impressive set designs and staging in the final act in the Temple. The destruction of the Temple is effectively conveyed by interesting lighting effects - although perhaps a warning should be included for the strobe/flashing lighting!

An interesting booklet accompanies the dvd and the production also includes a number of interesting extras, all of which are presented in high definition. The disc has a user-friendly menu system and there are a total of 52 chapters. Another useful feature is a very helpful précis synopsis that introduces every scene. Altogether, I would thoroughly recommend this disc. Well done to everyone concerned in this glorious production!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Oct 2011 21:59:43 GMT
Nigel of The Chilterns:

Thank you for that excellent Review. Based on your enthusiasm, I'm going to order La Bayadere today, even though I'm not familiar with it!

As a Balletomane, you should check out the Blu-Ray of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". Please don't be put off by the Quibbles in my Review - it really is a Spectacular Production from "The United Nations of Dance", R.B. Covent Garden. Incidentally, it is a Co-Production with The National Ballet of Canada, one of whose Anonymous Donors apparently made a huge Donation to complete the Funding! It played in Toronto to sellout houses in June...

Balletomaniacally yours,

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2011 22:52:25 GMT
Nigel Mc says:
Hi John,

Thank you for your kind comments. Of course, if you don't enjoy it you may decide that my review was not so excellent! - I hope that will not be the case!

A few months ago I did see the ROH performance of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. This was broadcast on our Network TV in HD and it was a real tour de force for the lead ballerina - Lauren Cuthbertson, Truly magnificent! We are clearly on the same wavelength.

Regards,

Nigel

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2011 23:37:25 GMT
Nigel:

Not to worry - I'm sure we're on the same wavelength, because I browsed through all 13 pages of your Reviews, to see if your reaction to familiar material was similar - it was!

I'll let you know when I've posted a Review of La Bayadere,
Regards,

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2011 01:47:09 GMT
Nigel:
My brief-ish "first impressions" Review is now on Amazon.co.uk

Once I have played it at some of my Retirement Home Clients on my 60" TV and Quad ESL 2905 Speakers etc., I can expand the Review as further layers of detail become apparent to my eyes and ears...

Wishing you and yours a Happy Christmas!!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2011 10:37:06 GMT
Nigel Mc says:
So pleased that your first impressions are good. I like your review.

All the best.

Nigel
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (13 customer reviews)

29.99 27.19