4.0 out of 5 stars Just makes 4 stars, 9 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Dying Fall: A Ruth Galloway Investigation (Ruth Galloway 5) (Hardcover)
I did enjoy the book; I'd not read Elly Griffiths before so Ruth Galloway came as a pleasant surprise and I can see why there are many fans around piling on the 5 star reviews.

But the story is full of holes, if not in plot but in depiction and portrayal of characters. Though a Yorkshire bloke, I know the Blackpool/Lytham area quite well. It is dowdy now, a shade of its former glory but the people are not like it might be suggested by the author. Northeners are not just emerging from the Stone Age - or is that Paleolithic Age? I think I have a mobile somewhere and I do remember throwing out the typewriter last week and we do solve murders now and again, without the help of ex-pats from Norfolk.

Of course, the druid, Cathbad got it right because he preferred to live up't north, albeit in pretty much a wooden shack with a bull terrier. Surprised the dog wasn't a whippet, come to think of it.

Then there's the investigation as the body count mounts. Well, it's easy to detail the faults but this would mean I've no space to admire the writing. The present tense is not everyone's cup of tea but once you adapt, the storyline flows and the author has some very witty side comments to make. Being a fan of Holby and Silent Witness, I began to empathize! That apart, she gets to grips with a rather long winded determination that King Arthur was black. That should have been fun. Since we know who his father was (I think), it makes for an interesting idea. Personally, I like my heroes to be cut and dried (in this case just plain buried) but it doesn't harm now and again to upset that sort of applecart.

I did initially imagine that dragging along a less than two-year old under the pretence of a holiday would not go down well but it works, thanks to surrogate fathers at every turn, not the least being Cathbad and not the most being DCI Nelson -oh and Max and, er......For someone who remains unmarried and happy in her work she has quite a collection of admirers. I don't intend to read the previous four books; I'm happy to have found Ruth Galloway and will definitely read the next one, if only to see where we're going with her lifestyle.

[Add comment]