3.0 out of 5 stars £100 Power Flosser that doesnt replace flossing?, 8 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Philips Sonicare AirFloss HX8211/02 Rechargeable Power Flosser (Personal Care)
As others have stated there is NO UK adaptor.
There is only ONE head.
My dentist is neither positive or negative about any Water Flosser but did say he could see an improvement since I had last been to see him and that was just 3 weeks previously.
There is a tiny amount of leakage when being used, but not so bad you would call it faulty or a reason not to use.
KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED WHEN USING IT! lol.
My routine is as follows...
First I still use a Plastic Flosser to slide in between each tooth. As it says itself in the instructions this is not a replacement to flossing.
Second I fill the Philips Flosser with mouthwash, about half of the mouthwash cap will fill the Flosser.
Then I find a quick once between the front of each tooth for my whole mouth, all 26 of my pearly whites :), uses up all of the mouth wash, I then have a mouth full of mouthwash which I rinse a spit out.
I refill and try to use the Flosser inbetween my teeth from the inside (back) of my teeth, This is easy on the top teeth but quite hard to do on the bottom teeth as the angle makes the "squirt" function of the Flosser less likely to work, ie if you are holding it upside down it doesnt seem to squirt out any fluid.
I have found mess to be so minimal that a mouthwash, a paper kitchen towel (for wiping the Flosser during use) and an empty plastic bottle (for spitting into) is all thats needed to sit in front of the TV and Floss!
All in it takes 5 minutes at most.
Some people mentioned the pain of the burst, but I have found it to be more like an instant jab feeling that stops as quickly as it starts and that maneuvering your tongue to the right place will avoid it all together. The pain is really not that bad, wouldnt even call it "pain" to be honest. The positioning of your tongue is a bit like when you first start using an electirc toothbrush and you need to "learn" how to position your tongue, it takes a couple of tries before it becomes a natural instinct.

I didnt actually pay £100, I paid £70, but it had been on offer at £100 for a longtime. There is no doubt in my mind this product, no matter how good, can never be worth either price. I think £40 would be an expensive but "worth it" price. I cant say for certain that Philips would even make a profit at £40 but I cant see how its worth more than that, from build etc.

I have been using this now for just short of a month, I can see improvements in my lower front teeth especially, as the burst is powerful enough to remove what the dentist, when "scaling", would normally remove. My own dentist was rather non-plussed about water flossers more due to cost and the fact that they arent a direct replacement to flossing.
All in all I am happy with product, but doubt I will pay £70 for a new one if and when a new one is needed.
At the moment Im also a bit suspicious about the need to replace the head at all and again the price for these is nothing short of ridiculous.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Dec 2013 10:31:59 GMT
Hi ronin,

I am a dentist and I use it on a daily basis. I have got a Panasonic EW 1211 Dental Care Cordless Rechargeable Oral Irrigator as well.

Thank you for your comment!

Plamen

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2013 11:38:07 GMT
ronin4 says:
Actually last week was at the Dental Hospital, saw two different Consultants and when I said I had a water flosser, they said dont use them, stick to floss.
One of them told me these water flossers are only really of benefit for people who have dexterity problems, because they have no other option.

Decided to use my flosser once a week, as it was the daily use that seemed to concern the dentists I saw. Would never buy one again though not at those prices.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2013 12:04:59 GMT
Nothing can beat the mechanical action of the floss, hands down! Millions of people with no dexterity problems whatsoever don't floss.

It is far, far better to use an oral irrigator than nothing at all. Best is both in my personal experience and the experience of my patients! :-)

Good luck in your treatment,

Plamen
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (775 customer reviews)

£80.00 £52.29