1.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Hype - Falls Flat at page 2., 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: Fifty Shades Darker (Paperback)
Well, what can I say! I was one of those who bought into this hype. I read the first book, and found it informative (not my cuppa, but each to their own); I was more interested in the romantic element of the plot. I must admit, the first book left me very curious as to whether they would be together in the subsequent books. (SPOILER ALERT) Suffice to say that after finding out that Christian does love her and wants to marry her, that was it for me! For me, that is the end of a love story!

There isn't enough substance in the plot to keep me interested after that. As for character development - it is quite unrealistic. I supposed I was looking for a simple love story a la Steele or Collins, but really, I should have just bought Steele or Collins, at least there is more intrigue, the language used is more varied, unlike EL James' ubiquitous 'Oh my'. It is extremely irritating!

This book, for me, fails at quite a few levels that a good book should be at. First, the plot is thin, as it doesn't really develop in this book. It goes around in circles. Second, I don't care about the characters. Third, the language used is quite juvenile, almost insulting the ability of its readers. Lastly, if it trying to explain BDSM, it probably introduced it in the first book as this book offers nothing new. You are better off 'googling' it.

I was too hasty in buying the last book as well. I find myself not able to pick it up. Alas, I don't think I will read it. This should not have been a trilogy. It should have ended at book one.

I've wasted my money - don't waste yours! Go and read The Hunger Games - much more entertaining!The Hunger Games Trilogy Box Set

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jul 2012 20:59:46 BDT
S. Kirkwood says:
Thanks for the 'spoiler'. Now I can save myself from having to read books 2 and 3 of the trilogy! Nearly finished book 1 but bored with it and skim reading just to get to the end. What a lot of hype!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2012 11:00:30 BDT
..... but how amazing that most people read this 'just to see what all the hype is about' and then totally agree with everyone who has gone before to say that it is a juvenile, badly written book with ludicrously unbelievable characters whose vocubalary, other than 'holy crap' or similar is confined to words of three syllables, whose Mr Grey is so, so selfish and self serving and should be locked for the sake of society up and whose naive Ana with her lack of self confidence should be locked up for her own good! I have never before read such a poor quality book and I struggled to the end (skimming) and then threw it at my daughter who persuaded me to read it - we are just about talking now! But E L James must be laughing all the way to the bank - just what is wrong with us to be taken in by this nonsense?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (2,566 customer reviews)
 (1,462)