2.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware, Laughably bad software, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: LightwaveRF Wifi-link for Remote Iphone or Android Mobile Phone Lighting Control (DIY & Tools)
I bought this unit (along with some of the associated bulbs and plugs) for a lot less at B&Q recently.

This unit controls the light units very well and reliably. The device communicates with other units via a radio link and the range appears to be excellent so far; reaching further than my WiFi router is able.

Sadly though, the operating software is just not good enough. The website based interface is clunky and poorly designed. For example, you can create timers but not edit them. If you want to change a time, you have to delete it then re-add.

On January 1st, I (and other users according to the forum), had a date displayed on the unit of 32nd December! Although nothing appeared to malfunction because of it, such glaring mistakes don't fill me with confidence as to the quality of the software.

Most seriously though, the main reason for having this expensive add on is to use it as a timer to control events during the day (lights on in the evening etc). The unit's timer system does not reliably work. For no apparent reason, some timers work and others do not.

I cannot recommend this product due to it just not working as advertised. That is a shame as it has great potential. My advice would be to wait until they have fixed all the software issues before considering a purchase.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Aug 2012 23:54:53 BDT
andytvcams says:
New software was promised about six months ago but still no sign of it as things stand their is no dedicated app for the ipad they were supposed to have brought in a dedicated app company to sort this all out so it should have not taken them this long.

Posted on 11 Mar 2013 13:41:42 GMT
KelRog says:
I agree 100% with your comments and can add that after 2 months mine has died ..... that answers my original question of how come so cheap?!!

Posted on 18 Jul 2013 11:50:07 BDT
C. Suter says:
I have installed this system in my home this summer (2013). As of today, I can control lighting in my house from my iPhone. As I have arthritis in my fingers the touch screen is easier than a switch.
Coming home in the dark evenings, I can turn on lights in the house, particularly the hall and porch light which helps me open the door instead of fumbling in the dark for a key. If I stay away anywhere, I can turn lights on and off giving the impression somebody is at home in my empty house. I intend to grow the system to incorporate PIR sensors and cameras to record any intruders, storing their images on the net.
So far, I have had no trouble with software or hardware. If I do, I shall report back here.
BTW they have a very helpful unofficial Forum on the Internet which has been useful to me - nice people who are also users.

Posted on 3 Nov 2014 16:43:58 GMT
Tim Raynor says:
The Android app has seen numerous updates over the last few months and I have never had an issue with timers not working.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›