4.0 out of 5 stars Let's be realistic..., 24 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Nikon P100 Digital Camera - Black (10.3MP, 26x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
The reason most people are interested in this camera is because of it's zoom, and it's ability to take decent pictures without carting a DSLR with various lenses around. And it is therefore a very good camera for this purpose.
Granted it has a few faults, which are better explained by other reviewers, but the main complaint I have come across is that the images are soft. Some of them are, but when you compare against a DSLR it is always going to come off worse! However, by playing around with settings you can improve them considerably.
Overall I have found this camera extremely good, and think that it's advantages more than outweigh it's disadvantages. If you want to take serious photos then you will need a DSLR, but for most people this is more than adequate. I have spent ages trawling through the reviews on Amazon and appreciate them enormously (hence why I am adding my pennies worth) but no-one has the same requirements and needs from any one camera, so there will always be an element of bias.
I own a Canon DSLR and several point and shoots (I can't stop buying cameras) but they all fulfill different functions, as there is no camera on the market that can do everything...for everyone!
The best advice anyone can give is to go into a camera shop and play around with as many cameras as possible - make them put batteries and a memory card in so you can take some pictures and make comparisons. Then you can look around online for the best deal. Also make a list of the features you really want, so you don't get carried away by fancy features you will never use.
Also remember that everyone has different preferences, and some cameras just feel more intuitive to you!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Jul 2010 22:58:05 BDT
Seems like a wise reviewer to me.

Posted on 23 Aug 2010 18:54:28 BDT
Amongst the various point and shoots that you own, is there one that you would recommend for taking pictures at concerts (indoors)? I just can't seem to find the right one (I own a decent DSLR, but that is of course too big and likely to get confiscated!).

Thanks if you can help!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Aug 2010 09:32:34 BDT
theduthies says:
Unfortunately I can't think of one that has been in any way outstanding. I used my Sony Cybershot at a concert in June and the results weren't great. I have a Canon G9 which gives you a fair amount of control, but still won't be ideal.
I'm afraid I don't go to concerts enough to know anything about photographing them.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Aug 2010 11:17:44 BDT
OK, well thanks for the prompt response any way. I guess I will have to take the plunge and buy something and give it a try. I am leaning towards the P100, mostly based on the comments that I have read on it being less 'noisy' at higher ISO numbers than other compacts. That combined with full control might do it. If not I will have to work on getting a press pass so that I can take my DSLR!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Aug 2010 11:23:21 BDT
theduthies says:
Personally I would try everything in my power to get a press pass. The photographs I saw a woman taking at the concert in June were exceptional, but of course she had her DSLR!

Posted on 11 Sep 2010 07:55:27 BDT
i have a sony DSLR-A380L and a p100 and the picture quality doesnt vary much between the two unless you are blowing up the pic to poster size, and taking a good photo is some thing you can either do well cos you know what your doing or just lucky or its something you should work on cos even a £99 cybershot can take an exeptional pic if you use it right

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2010 13:46:30 GMT
Hello Mr Bruce.

I am also looking to buy a camera that will perform well at concerts and don't want to run the risk of taking my DSLR in case it gets confiscated.

did you end up buying the P100, by another superzoom or manage to get a press pass?

i have 3 weeks until i go to a concert and really want to make my mind up soon as i want to learn how to use it before i go.

any suggestions?

thanks
Lucy

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2010 18:51:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Oct 2010 18:53:01 GMT
Hi Lucy,

I did a lot more research on the P100, and found a lot of comments about it not performing well in limited lighting conditions, so decided that it was probably out for concerts.

In the end I bought the new Nikon P7000 - it was a toss up between that and the Canon G12. Although it cost me a lot more than the P100 would have done, I decided that it was better to do that than try and save a few pounds and regret it.

Nikon Coolpix P7000 Digital Compact Camera

Having said that, I haven't taken it to any gigs yet, so cannot confirm that it is going to be great for that - but it has so many control options (which are easy to use) that I think if it doesn't catch some great pictures it will be the photographer, not the camera! One very useful thing is that it has three programable scene modes (as well as a low light one), so before the gig I can dial in a few diverse settings and not have to try and fiddle when I am there.

I've also got a gig at the end of the month to go to, so will know a bit more after that.

Hope that helps, Lucy?

Happy snapping!

Bruce

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2010 21:17:21 GMT
Hi Bruce,

Thank you so much for your quick reply! i am finding this process such a difficult one. i have looked at so many reviews of so many cameras and just cannot decide.

First I was veering towards the Lumix FZ45 because of the 24x zoom but went to a large electrical store and was told their cameras are not powered up so couldn't have a play which i thought was pretty strange. How do they expect to sell cameras for 100's of pounds without demonstrating them, its not like you would buy a TV without switching it on!

Then it was the P100 but you are right i have since seen some reviews which say about its performance in low light.

the camera you have suggested looks and sounds great but its a lot more then i can fork out i'm afraid.

suppose i'm just gonna have to keep looking

enjoy the gig!

thanks again
Lucy

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2010 09:58:36 GMT
Hi Lucy,

Yup, it sure is a tricky one! The problem is of course, even had you been able to try the camera in the shop this does not test it under concert conditions.

I had been using a Pentax compact previously, which had very few user settings, so had to rely on the camera's programmes. It takes good pictures outdoors and reasonably good ones indoors, when you use the flash. But it was just too hit and miss at concerts - I might get three or four good shots, half a dozen ok ones, and dozens and dozens of hopeless ones.

Whilst a zoom is handy to have for gigs, I would just have a bit of caution on going for a long zoom - only because it will increase the risk of camera shake, which is a very real problem in the lower light at gigs.

I know the P7000 was a lot (much more than I was originally going to pay), but my rationale was that there was a risk that I could buy one for half the price, and then end up regretting it and spending as much again ...... or more!

I'll try and remember to let you know how it copes at the gig once I have given it its first workout!

Enjoy your gig too!