5.0 out of 5 stars FAQ - Performance Review..., 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: DELL U2412M - Dell UltraSharp U2412M - 24'' LED Monitor 8ms 1920x1200dpi D-Sub DVI-D USB (Electronics)
* Backlight Bleed *
I could find none on my unit.

* IPS Glow *
Most IPS panels have this. Especially panels below 500. This one has IPS Glow. It's very even, and is minimal if you're central to the screen (as most likely you are). IPS Glow does diminish as you sit further back. So you'll not notice it watching dark movies if you use this monitor as a multimedia monitor for watching films, etc.

I'm very fussy about stuff like this. And it really is minimal compared to other ranges of sub 500 dell monitors.

* Black Level * This unit has excellent black levels. I calibrated my monitor to brightness 35, contrast 75, and then used a spectrometer to calibrate the colours, and the blacks are truly black, and not grey. Very impressed with this performance.

* Colour Accuracy *
It's not true sRGB, only covering 95%. And it's a non wide gamut monitor. However, I do web design, and not print design. If I did print design, I would still use this monitor for web design. A wide gamut monitor is only of use if the whole production chain is wide gamut. That is wide gamut camera or other image source, wide gamut OS, wide gamut application and wide gamut printer. I specifically didn't chose a wide gamut monitor for web design, as almost all monitors are non wide gamut, so I would gain nothing. If anything, I may end up choosing colours that the majority of people will not be able to render.

A wide gamut monitor also displays non ICC applications incorrectly, unless you do sRGB emulation. (Think Office, IE, etc). Unless you're doing print work, there is no need to buy a wide gamut monitor.

This monitor fits perfectly for my needs. It's high enough and has excellent performance so that I can colour much to some accuracy my clients colours. As it's a non wide gamut monitor, I know that the colours I pick will be to some degree the same as the majority of users out there.

* Gaming *
I have a Samsung TN panel that's rated at 2ms. I believe this one is around 8ms. To be honest, my eyes can't tell the difference between 6ms. If yours can, you're a better person than I, as I couldn't tell the difference.

* Anti-Glare coating *
I've had to send a dell back in the past, purely because the AG coating was so rough, it was unacceptable. Even on a white blank office document, it's hard to see the AG coating. It's a matte display, and you don't get that "sparkly" affect like you do on some of the other dell monitors. If you do, it's too fine for my eyes to make out.

* Verdict *
I'm very happy with this monitor. It's the perfect resolution for PC's. Don't buy a 1080p monitor, you'll be making a mistake. The colours are fantastic. films look awesome, games do as well. Panel uniformity of colours is second to none. Minimal IPS glow and no bleed. Finally I have a monitor to replace my aging Samsung. It was a great monitor, and the only reason I had to get rid, was the blues were fading somewhat... (well, it was 5 years old!), but this is more than in a position to take it's crown. Highly recommended. Especially if its around the 200 mark. (I paid 240 for my Sammy 5 years ago, so this is a bargain to me).

Buy!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]