5.0 out of 5 stars page turner, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: Life and Laughing: My Story (Paperback)
To say that I knew who Michael McIntyre is, is overstretching it. I had heard of him, seen one of his sketches on the telly (about the Scottish money) and that was about it. So when I came across his book at Waterstone's as part of a three-for-two package deal (we Dutch are more like the Scots than they would have us believe), I decided to snap it up as the last of the three and I found it unputdownable. It's not that it is great literature or anything, not even that it's an hilarious book (although of course it does have many funny passages), but McIntyre does have a way with storytelling. So although you know the outcome (he has become successful and married the love of his life; you just have to look at the pictures), he keeps you on tenterhooks all the time (will he win her, will he make it as a comedian?). He also can be very moving when he talks about his parents' divorce, the death of his father and the subsequent posthumous letter he received, the ultimately soured relationship with his grandmother and not least the financial problems he found himself in before he finally found himself on the road to fame. You will find many passages have been used in some of his shows and guest appearances (e.g. Top Gear). I trust you'll enjoy it as much as I did!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Aug 2011 22:57:48 BDT
Good review Joost. I happen to like Mr. McIntyre and would be interested in reading this book myself. I do find him funny to watch when he's on t.v. In fact, he's one of the very few comedians that I actually do enjoy watching and listening to. Very helpful. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2011 23:22:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Aug 2011 23:33:26 BDT
JJA Kiefte says:
You'll find the book an easy, but engrossing, read (my lovely colleague Selena Schaefer was more than right about that). Michael is certainly not as wordy or as verbose as A.A. Gill or, indeed, Stephen Fry. But I'm wondering if a comedian like him, who so depends on his boyishness and cuddliness, can go on doing stand-up comedy till his pension?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2011 13:40:18 BDT
You're right of course, Joost. He has a very childlike boyish appeal and it's a little difficult to picture him at pension age still doing what he does now. For now though, I like Mr McIntyre and look forward to reading this book, once I've finished reading the other few I'm on at the minute!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2011 22:35:49 BDT
Joost, Just to let you know that I will soon be purchasing this book along with the Jeremy Clarkson one that you reviewed. I look forward to reading the Michael McIntyre book and I hope Brian will enjoy reading the Jeremy Clarkson one when he gets it for Christmas. Also, I have hit the 'ignore this customers posts' link with regards Ms. Simms and her somewhat offensive and obnoxious remarks, and I don't mean the one's about Andre Rieu! She seems to have taken issue, for some unknown reason, with the fact that we 'comment' quite regular with each other. I don't know why. I am a full-time carer for my mum who, as you know Joost, has Alzheimer's. My partner Brian and I rarely get time out, so to speak, as he works a lot and I'm on call 24/7. So, to pass the time some nights while sitting with mum, I surf the net and sail through Amazon, Ebay and Facebook to keep up with all that's happening in the world! I buy a lot of cd's and books, not just through Amazon but off Ebay as well. I enjoy keeping in touch with people, that's one of the reasons I joined Facebook, and I also enjoy a bit of 'banter' now and again with people on Amazon. I don't see any harm in that, but obviously Ms. Simms does. If it bothers you, Joost, my following your reviews etc, I would rather you say, than not. In which case, if it does, then I will not 'comment' anymore, on any of them, and you will not hear from me again. I don't want to offend you, but I also don't want ignorant people making assumptions about me that just aren't true and if that means not contacting anyone on Amazon, then so be it. I will let you know what I think of Michael's book though, once I've read it. In the meantime, take care. Best Wishes, Edna.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2011 15:21:02 BDT
JJA Kiefte says:
Hi Edna,

Don't worry, I'm not one to easily take offence so if you like to comment on my reviews and comments, it's fine with me.

Cheers,

Joost

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2011 15:51:26 BDT
Thank you Joost. I don't usually take offence easily either, as you know :), but Ms. Simms just got a bit too personal for my liking in assuming things about me that she had no right to assume, considering she doesn't even know me. Not nice. I do look at other peoples reviews too, Joost, and like I said, I buy cd's, books etc, sometimes because of these reviews, sometimes in spite of them. So, I'm not a 'stalker' as Ms Simms would seem to imply! I am quite normal I can assure you! I just like to chat with people and make new friends. I can't see the harm in that. And Brian knows all about the people I keep in contact with. I have nothing to hide. Thank you again Joost. Best Wishes to you, Edna.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2011 18:57:41 BDT
Hi Joost, Hope you are well! I've been keeping myself busy (and out of trouble!) these past couple of weeks, catching up with my reading. Have a few books on the go at the minute and another few at the ready! Off on hols soon as well! Reading any good books lately yourself? Or listening to any good cd's? Best wishes to you, Edna.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (553 customer reviews)

£7.99 £5.99