5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant help for depressed people, 3 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Depression Cure: The 6-Step Program to Beat Depression without Drugs (Paperback)
If you suffer from depression and want a simple, effective and well researched way to help lift your depression, then I would highly recommend this book to you.

My situation is as follows: I have suffered from depression for over 10 years. Part of the reason I have suffered for so long is that until fairly recently I didn't realise my problem was depression, and the other reason is that I hadn't found very effective help for depression. Once I realised I had depression, I tried to help myself by going on anti-depressants and doing other things like exercise which I had heard were good for depression. Those things helped a bit, but I was still essentially depressed. After having found this book and used it's principles for about 6 months, I am not completely depression free, but I am off anti-depressants and feel good enough to not feel the need to go back on anti-depressants. I also feel confident that I will continue to improve.

One thing to note, although this book is sightly anti-drugs, I used the principles while still on anti-depressants, and it is perfectly complementary. I found I felt much better while taking drugs AND using the book's advice, and then reached a point where I felt I could cope without the drugs, and so far so good. I would disagree with the book in that anti-depressants are basically useless for moderately depressed people, but I would agree that they are useless for a permanent long term cure for any depressed person (but that's just my own experience).

That said this book is very well written and very effective. It is well written in that is sympathetic, positive and inspiring, and easy to read. I can say that it is effective for 5 reasons:

1) I have used it and I have felt the results.

2) Each of the 6 aspects of the depression cure are based on extensive research about what really improves depression. This is no pet theory book.

3) Each action to help depression has been tailored for the depressed person: they are easy to understand and easy to put in place in your life. It is something that is so often overlooked in books to help depression - depressed people just find it harder to do everything, so if there is a complicated and difficult action to help depression, chances are it won't be done.

4) The fact that the actions are based on thorough research means you are more confident that they will work, and therefore put more effort into adopting them.

5) The book covers several different types of actions to help depression. Other depression books tend to focus just on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, or just on your diet, or just on whatever. For each individual the effectiveness of each action is probably very different, but by doing all 6 bases you've got the best chance that you're doing the things which will help YOU.

Anyway I've rambled on enough!

In summary: give this book go! There's no harm in trying.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]