1.0 out of 5 stars Worst "Mis Lit" book I have ever read, 17 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Throwaway Boy: I Didn't Understand Why My Husband Cried Himself to Sleep Every Night - Then the Truth Came Out (Kindle Edition)
This book is very useful - buy it for anyone who talks too much about themselves. Because that's what the author does, incessantly. Whoever you buy this book for will soon realise why such behaviour is so off-putting, in a way that is impossible to describe just by telling them.

I do not mean to denigrate what happened to Billy. And the author's support of her husband is commendable. It is just that I have read a number of "mis lit" books and this one is the worst, simply because so much of the book is about Alix (the subject's wife), not Billy (the subject).

The book is written in three modes - flashbacks to Alix's childhood, flashbacks to Billy's childhood and Alix & Billy as adults as the story comes out. In my opinion, the former is irrelevant and self-indulgent and therefore should have been edited out. And the story does not start to come out until over 50% of the way through the book, to the extent that I question the relevance of much of the first 50%.

I felt as if I was swimming through treacle, yet hanging on in there owing to the seriousness of the subject matter. Having reached the end, I wish I had done what some other reviewers had done and simply given up on the book.

It is with regret that I write such a negative review about so serious a topic. It is just that we learn SO little about the author's husband and SO much about the author. It's like me writing a biography about someone, you buying it and finding out that the vast majority of the book is about me.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]