3.0 out of 5 stars One Big Problem..., 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Nokia Lumia 625 Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
First off, this is a great phone for the price. I got it to replace my Galaxy S3 because I was fed up with being so tied in to Google for everything. It's a big phone, but I like that and don't find it a problem in my jeans pocket. I read in some reviews that the screen definition wasn't great, but to me it looks as good as the Galaxy and even if it isn't, it's perfectly fine. I actually like the Windows Phone operating system and look - in fact I think it makes Android look a bit tired and old fashioned now. Everyone knows there aren't as many apps, but I've found equivalents for almost all of the Android ones I was using before. But - and it is a big but - the music playing software is AWFUL. It's so poor that I'd say if you use your phone as a music player, and if you like to play from your own collections, especially ones you've created in a folder on a Windows PC - you probably don't want to buy this phone.

The first thing to point out is that musically speaking, it's a split-personality phone. There is Nokia Music and there is X-Box music. Under the skin they both look and behave in pretty much the same way. I started by using the Nokia music, and wasted a lot of time in the process because in trying to solve nearly all my problems I learned I had to do things through X-Box.

On my Galaxy I had a great little app called Mortplayer which recognised the folders of albums I'd created on my PC and copied to my SD card. Simple! How it should be! Now I had a windows phone hooked up to a Windows PC, so surely it would be at least as straightforward - but no. It doesn't recognise folders you've created. To be fair, most phones and some MP3 players don't, and I was lucky to find Mortplayer. If there is an equivalent for Windows PHone 8, I haven't found one.

After much searching, it looked like the only way to get my collections of songs looking the same on the Lumia was to create playlists from scratch using Windows Media Player on my PC, then sync with the phone. It took ages because I've got lots of home-made albums. But at least it worked - for a while. The playlists would spookily vanish from the phone, even after having played them, even without switching it off or doing anything to it or with it. It sometimes took days, sometimes minutes. I tried three or four times, and every time I got my playlists on the phone, they worked for a while then disappeared. The final time I was actually looking at a playlist, swiped to something else, swiped back - and they were all gone!

I finally found a solution on a wonderful blog ([...] It's the most ridiculously long-winded, unintuitive thing I've ever come across in order to perform a basic function, but it finally works and bless whoever wrote it!

The whole situation is an absolute mess and has taken me hours to sort out, and I know from searching for answers that I'm not alone in this. I was prepared to do it because in most other respects it's a great phone and I wanted to keep it. But I use my phone almost as much for music as I do calls and texts, and if I'd known before what I know now. I probably wouldn't have bought it and would advise others to think twice.

[Add comment]