2.0 out of 5 stars A Legendary Event Ruined On WWE Home Video, 8 July 2010
This review is from: ECW - One Night Stand 2005 [DVD] (DVD)
Please note, this is a review of the event played on DVD, not the event that played live on the date that is shown on the front cover of the DVD, because please understand while the matches and, mostly, all the segments are identical, this is not the same event.

I had the honour of watching this PPV almost as good as live when I recorded it on TV and watched it with a friend several days after. We had never seen ECW except for the shell used in the InVasion angle. When watching this event we were left in awe at how incredible this little promotion was.

It had been five years since I had seen this event and so decided to buy the DVD and relive the moments that had never left my memory; Super Crazy moonsaulting off the balcony to the floor, cheese-graters used to bust people open, the foul, uncensored language flowing not just from the crowd but the competitors as well and The Sandman's incredible entrance through the crowd as they sung Metallica's "Enter Sandman" and drowned out the actually song as it blasted out from the speakers in the Hammerstein Ballroom.

Flicking the DVD on, something was not right. Sure, the matches were the same and unaltered, and for most part the promos were left untampered with, but WWE seemed to find it necessary to censore the foul language throughout. Now, while I felt the dropping of the f-bombs and some of the crudest chants to ever come from a crowd was what made this promotion so special, I was prepared to accept the bleeping of the f-bombs. But what came next was a travesty.

The main event of the card; The Dudley Boyz vs Tommy Dreamer & The Sandman started to get ready, and as Dreamer waited outside, he, the crowd and I waited anxiously for the defining moment of ECW, but when the music started and the crowd cheered, I realised the music wasn't the same. Not only did they replace Metallica with a generic WWE rock entrance music, they dubbed out the crowd's singing even though you can see them singing Enter Sandman. For once you would hope WWE would let this one slide just once to allow one more moment of priceless memory like Mick Foley falling off the side of the Hell In A Cell, the birth of Austin 3:16 or just even the reaction from the crowd whenever Austin or The Rock's music hit.

Trying to see if anyone had seen fit to comment on this hacking of a classic moment, the only review I found came from a review on the US version of Amazon by R. Morgan, feeling his pain, below is his review, I feel for you R. Morgan:

" WWE blows it again on this DVD, June 30, 2005
By R. Morgan

This review is from: ECW - One Night Stand (DVD)
Let me say straight off about the PPV itself. Amazing! You've already seen the match lists from previous reviews so I don't need to retread.

The matches in the first half of the PPV were mediocre, but then it really picks up and we see what ECW was all about.

I saw the PPC live, and now I wish I could get a refund on the dvd. To me the most energizing and incredible moment of the night was Sandman's entrance, barnone. He enters the stadium from the crowd as "Enter Sandman" plays, and as he slowly makes his way through the crowd the ENTIRE audience starts singing every word and goes nuts as he makes his way to the ring. Those 3-4 minutes were an instant classic and the best entrance I've seen of any wrestler.

And then Vince decides he doesn't want to shell out the dough to keep that moment alive on dvd, and decides to replace the whole thing with generic rock music! I was showing this to a friend who didn't get a chance to see it live, and all I could say after hyping this up was, "uh, this isn't how it happened live..wth?"

The PPV is great, don't get me wrong. But for such a defining moment to be ruined b/c of Vince's greed over money vs. keeping this instant classic preserved on dvd for fans who didn't get to see it live turns my stomach.

Just be warned before you buy, and if you didn't see it live, you'll definitely see what I'm talking about when you see it for yourself."

Please note, unless you have never seen this event before, you will probably still get the same vibe watching this as I did when I watched it *sort of* live, but if like me you watched this first hand five years ago, you will be sadly disappointed at how low WWE can sink. If you want to relive The Sandman entrance again untainted, I suggest you look on YouTube, trust me, it's on there enough to find it.

[Add comment]