4.0 out of 5 stars Can't make my mind up, 18 Nov 2008
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I've watched almost every episode of Mock the Week and think that Frankie Boyle is the true star of the programme. Whilst I respect he's not to everyone's taste his 'close to the knuckle' style of humour always makes me wet myself, although I do sometimes find myself cringing in disbelief at some of the stuff he comes out with.

When I heard he was coming to my home town of Taunton I immediately snapped up tickets to see him. It's not often an act of his stature comes to visit. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the show and was in stitches throughout, as were the rest of the audience from what I could see. Yes, some of the jokes I had heard before on Mock the Week but this only accounted for around 10% of the show. The rest was fresh to my ears and some of it was obviously brand new material as he was talking about events that had only happened that week. Personally I thought that on the night his interaction with the audience was fantastic and appeared to be 'off the cuff', even if the "what do you do?" line did wear a bit thin come the end. However, be warned... If you don't like the use of the word 'c**t' do not go to see Frankie as it's used very frequently.

So good was Frankie's performance that I had to go out and buy the DVD. To be honest it was a bit of a waste of money cos the routine was exactly the same as the show, minus the recent topical stuff. Even the cruel remarks to the audience were the same. So much for being off the cuff! It soon became clear why he kept asking the audience what they did for work. Any other questions would have required Frankie to make something up on the spot instead of the well rehearsed replies he used at both the live show I went to and the DVD. To be fair to him though I was kind of expecting this to be the case. It was exactly the same when I watched Alan Carr's DVD after seeing him live. I guess most comedians have a well rehearsed routine that they adapt slightly as the tour progresses. Some clearly adapt more than others. However, I have to say that despite all of this I did find myself watching the whole DVD from start to finish and laughing at all the same jokes and put downs as I had the night before. There's just no denying that this guy is extremely funny. Whether Frankie will be remembered in time to come for his stand up routines or his television work on shows such as Mock the Week remains to be seen. I for one shall be watching with interest.

In summary this DVD is a must buy if you haven't seen one of Frankie's live shows. However if you have seen him live, unless you want a memento of your night I would save your pennies and buy something else.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jan 2010 10:06:56 GMT
You watched the tour and bought the DVD of the same tour and expected them to be different?! He's written a 60 - 90 minute show, it's going to be the same every night and then the same again on the DVD bar a few things that happen with the crowd each night. That's going to be the same with every comedian! I agree that I don't think Frankie's true strength is stand-up, but I wouldn't mark him down for repeating the same stuff. That's like going to watch Mamma Mia twice and complaining that it was exactly the same the second time round!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2013 14:45:48 BDT
John Wilson says:
Absolutely right. No decent comedian would go without a rehearsed routine. Within that there will be some newly invented material but the further you get from your script the harder it gets...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (142 customer reviews)

£19.99 £3.45