4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, but still cheaper than dental care, 23 July 2011
This review is from: Braun Oral-B Triumph 5000 Five-Mode Power Toothbrush with Wireless Smart Guide (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Normally, I would baulk at the idea of paying more than forty pounds for an electric toothbrush, so the prospect of spending double that seems ridiculous. Surely a good manual toothbrush, properly used, is almost as good?

I don't know, but looking at the state of my teeth today and the hundreds of pounds I've wasted on dental treatment, perhaps I would have saved money in the long run if I'd invested in a better toothbrush earlier on.

The Triumph 5000 is, according to the head of the British Dental Health Foundation, "the Rolls Royce of brushes". That seems a bold claim to make and when I first switched the brush on, I was underwhelmed. The motor seemed to grind slowly compared to my Omron Sonic Style Electric Tothbrush 458, which had a superfast mode that scoured my teeth, leaving them feeling as if I'd just been to the dental hygienist. I was also underwhelmed by the five different modes, which didn't seemed to differ that wildly from each other. So far so bad.

But once I'd worked out how to use the 'Smart Guide' device, which wirelessly synchronises with the toothbrush, I began to change my mind.

In short, the 'Smart Guide' device supervises the user, telling them how long they should spend on each part of their mouth. If you press the brush too hard - with the potential risk of bleeding gums - a warning sound and light begin until the pressure is relaxed. One each quadrant is complete, a simple LCD image tells the user to move on the next section.

I was very impressed by this function. In hindsight, I had probably been attacking my gums too vigorously with the sonic toothbrush and this device is far more kinder to the gums. The timer also prevented me from cutting corners - so easy to do when you're in a hurry.

The kit also comes with three different brush heads that cover a range of needs, from sensitive gums and teeth to a vigorous plaque remover. It's very useful having a facility that allows the user to have a go at the plaque without endangering the gums and enamel.

Like the Omron, this toothbrush takes ages to charge and I whilst I only have to recharge my electric razor every month or so, the charge on this is supposed to last for ten days - so if you're going on a two-week holiday, bring the lead!

To summarise:

PROS:

* Sturdy and well-built
* A built-in warning system to prevent damage to gums
* Three separate heads for different functions, plus five modes
* A glowing recommendation from the British Dental Health Foundation
* An electronic 'Smart Guide' which wirelessly connects with the toothbrush, guiding the user through the cleaning process
* Brush heads are easy to clean - no build-up of 'gunk' around the base of the brush
* Good carry cases for both the toothbrush and brush heads

CONS:

* The price
* The lack of different speeds
* Not a sonic brush (if that matters)
* An instruction booklet that could be a little clearer - it takes a little while to learn how to use the device
* It takes a long time to charge the battery. People without a 2-pin socket in their bathroom may want to think twice.

Overall, it's an impressive product and my teeth (and gums) already feel better, but for the price, I'd like to see more speeds. However, if the professionals think so much of this toothbrush, that's a serious selling point for me. Hopefully it will save me from a lot of expensive dental treatment in the future!

NB - Since writing this review, Amazon have dropped the price and I would now say that this product is good value for money, as my dental health has continued to improve.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Mar 2012 05:24:45 GMT
Thank you for a very good review just a few points I have to mention.

There is no con or need to think twice about buying this with not having a 2-pin socket in the bathroom. You can easily use a UK shaver adapter and I have always plugged my toothbrushes into the bedroom wall socket as I do not have an electrical point in my bathroom.

It takes 10hrs to charge (very standard with electronic brushes for years, at least with the last Oral B I had before this for 4yrs) and easily I get minimum 10 days usage if not slightly more. It also seems to have been smartly programmed not to run out of battery halfway through a brush so won't stop working completely until it is not able to give you a minimum 2 min brush cycle. I don't know if other people have noticed this but I have had this a few months and have never had the battery run out mid way, only after it has completed its last 2 dying minutes.

Another point I have always wanted to point out: everyone of my friends who have an electric toothbrush seem to have a bad habit of CONSTANTLY leaving it on charge everytime they have used it! Not only is this stupid (FOR ANY DEVICE!) as it wastes needless electricity (probably negligible but STILL it is waste!) but it will surely lead to overcharging the NiMH battery, by which effect the long term charge the battery holds will diminish, reducing performance and a quicker death of the product. NiMH batteries can also blow up through overcharging so that would damage your nice toothbrush completely! NiMH was used in older mobile phones (the ones with the huge battery packs) until they switched to using Lithium ion batteries for which the batteries are more efficient and the chargers cleverer. Most branded ones now turn themselves off when the phone is full to prevent overcharging damage.

As I mentioned, I had an Oral B 8500 Professional Care before which lasted 4yrs, with which I only charged it when it actually ran out and it went from a run of about 10 days to 6 for twice daily use until I replaced it with this model so this may give an indication of long term performance if charged correctly.

*I just noticed on YouTube there are many videos showing you how to replace the battery, notably, needing the use of a soldering iron and a battery from a hobby model store, so if any of you are feeling thrify and adventurous I guess you can extend the life of your toothbrush this way when it eventually needs its pension!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Captain Pike
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Location: Sussex