3.0 out of 5 stars we shall see, 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: Microstock Photography: How to Make Money from Your Digital Images (Paperback)
I have tried stock photography, and submitted work a year ago. I found the whole process so off putting, with all the various keywords and the sheer amount of work you need to do to submit, the photos must be perfection itself. I felt rather frustrated with the whole thing, chucked it in, and forgot about it. A year has passed, and I have regained some enthusiasm and now have realistic expectations this time - AND I bought this book. I haven't read it throughout but from what I have read, well I would have preferred some real world experience, and also I would have like to read about how to make it a bit fun too.

He suggests to ask a friend to model for you. Ask your friends to model for you? I have done that, and I tell you it won't look professional. In fact, the friend was my sister who used to want to be a model, and it looked well, let's say the photos weren't accepted by any stock agency. So, if you have normal friends helping you out, UNLESS they are current aspiring models, don't expect much.

He suggests some great business and science ideas...but as he rightly says, how does a new photographer get into a science lab (and not one that is in the local school?) or realistically have that many multi-cultural friends all in one go willing to dress in business clothes. It'll cost more than a pint.

Also studio lighting is pretty high on the list for stock photography - but he doesn't really emphasise the importance of that. ???

But, there are some other points that are true, such as how nit picky the agencies are, and the unpredictability of photos, and he gives good advice on what to look out for in terms of flaws in the photos.

One suggestion I would have liked is a workflow because there are edits and keywording that has to happen to each photo, so I'm wondering what a realistic goal for that is.

I'll let you know if I actually sell anything this time with the help of this book, and whether I can make it fun and challenging. Let's see what I can conjure up 6 months from now, watch this space.

[Add comment]