4.0 out of 5 stars D600 is the business, 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: Nikon D600 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (24.3MP) 3.2 inch LCD (Electronics)
I've only just started using this camera and I must say I am very impressed. Coming from a Nikon D300 & a D7000 camera and having read all the hype I expected great things from the D600. What I did not expect was to be utterly blown away by the results of my first tests. Using the camera in fine jpeg mode and neutral colour bias with and without the built in flash with an AF-S 50mm 1.4g I shot off about sixty or so images of pretty much anything around me. I have not posted pictures as I am sure nobody will want to see the clutter in my living room, not to mention the fact that most of the subjects were items of furniture, ornaments and a few of my dogs. Not the most exciting stuff in the world. In any event even with the rather dull subject matter I was rivited to my laptop by the stand out quality of the images that this combination can produce.
There is no sign of the much mentioned colour shift on the cameras rear display and the auto ajusting semsor on the same works efficiently and accurately. There appears to be no issues with left focus or multi-flash ussage with my three Nikon flashguns as has been mentioned as being an issue on the D800.
The focusing area is smaller than I would of liked but not a deal breaker and easily worked around. The system in my limited testing so far has proved itself to be quite efficient except when I tried to focus on a half leaf covered all white metal plate with evenly spaced holes all over its surface. This is the only thing that I have found can give the AF a problen thus far. I have found that the AF is happier when the camera is used in landscape mode as apposed to portrait mode which I would gues is somthing to do with the number of cross type sensors available for portrait/landscape mode. Again this is fairly easy to work around.
I have experemented with high ISO settings and managed to take a few very pleasing images of my son's warderobe with a considerable amount of clear detail and surprisingly little noise, even though I could only make it out as a dark shape the other side of his room. This was at ISO 25000 which is a whole lot higer than I would usually use.

The only possible negative point I have discovered so far is with the flash. Whether using the inbuilt unit or an external flash the colours are unaturally warm and saturated. On certain subjects the effect is actually very pleasing but for the main I find it best to use the inbuilt options to tone the colour and warmth down a little. Again not a major issue and some may even concider it an advantage depending on the type of images you take.

All in all, I am very impressed with this camera and would highly reccomend it to both enthusiasts and professionals alike.

One final point is that Amazon as usual delivered the goods in a timely fashion and well packaged to avoid damage in transit.

[Add comment]