5.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Wait Until June!!, 27 Mar 2008
This review is from: Bette Davis 100th Birthday Box Set [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This is nominally the third collection of Bette Davis movies, and contains six films, where the previous two contained only five.

Each DVD comes with extras broadly titled 'Warner Night at the Movies', made up of shorts, newsreels and cartoons contemporary to the films. Some have a commentary, most have an original trailer. There are no new featurettes.

In This Our Life - A surprise flop (or was it? see comments) from 1942/3. Bette never wanted to play it as she felt she was too old for the role. It plays well accross the decades 'though. This is Bette being bad!

The Old Maid - Bette's first pairing with real life enemy Miriam Hopkins. It is said that their mutual dislike brought out the best in both their performances. Some of those scenes really spark with energy.

All This And Heaven Too - One of my favorites. Historical drama of unrequited love. Look out for the mother from TV's 'Lost In Space' June Lockhart playing the eldest (French) girl in her care.

The Great Lie - They all drink so many juleps, it is a wonder any of them can stand up! Mary Astor picked up a supporting role Oscar. In her acceptance speech, she graciously gave much credit to Bette.

Watch On The Rhine - Not a Bette Davis vehicle, it is more an anti Nazi propoganda film. The Mother played by our own Lucille Watson seems to have more screen time than Bette. All credit to Bette that she was prepared to take a less than full starring role in aid of the war effort.

Deception - Bette's juggernaut was running out of steam by 1946. Highly watchable, but not as good as most of her early '40s movies.

I suppose we have to wait until June, but it will be a long impatient wait for me!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Apr 2008 14:11:41 BDT
I believe "In this our life" was Warner's top grossing of 1942, so hardly a FLOP!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2008 23:29:04 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2008 11:15:55 BDT
Miguel,

You may be right, but I find it hard to believe it out grossed 'Yankee Doodle Dandy' or Bette's own 'Now Voyager'. I'm sure I read somewhere that 'In This Our Life' wasn't a hit, but I cannot find definitive information to back that up.

I did read that 'Deception' in 1946 was the first of her movies to lose money, so 'In This Our Life' can't have been that much of a flop.

Sorry if I was wrong.

It is good to know that you are still out there. I have enjoyed many of your reviews, and am sorry that you seem to have stopped.

Dave

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2008 18:34:04 BDT
C. Greene says:
Dear dave,
I am a huge bette davis fan (nothing can beat 'now voyager') whats happening in june??

Kate

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2008 11:58:41 BDT
Kate,

This set of six Bette Davis DVDs is released in the UK in June. It is already out in the US, I weakened yesterday and ordered it from Amazon US (you need a multi-region DVD player).

Over there, the post office is issuing a stamp to commemorate what would have been her hundredth birthday. It is good to know that they appreciate their heritage!

'Now Voyager' is my all time favorite movie. That was on Volume 1.

'Lets not ask for the moon, we have the stars'.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (75 customer reviews)

£34.99 £12.00