1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone but........, 22 July 2013
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini UK SIM-Free Smartphone - White (discontinued by manufacturer) (Wireless Phone)
It is with sadness I must announce the death of my 2 month old Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini. In its short lifetime, this has to be one of the best phones I have ever owned. The phone is quick, texting is a breeze (the predictive text being quite outstanding) and the camera is first class. So why one star?
Samsung Galaxy 3 can and often develop something called SDS. (Sudden death Syndrome) After 2 months I tried to unlock the phone and it was completely dead. After much research I removed the battery and sim card for two minutes and then rebooted the phone. Phew, back to life! However, it did it again two days later.
Now you would expect Samsung customer services to be understanding and helpful with a common fault with this model. After all there is supposed to be a firmware update to sort out this issue. Sadly, they seem to be in denial. "Have you tried changing the battery?" After some prompting they admited there was a problem but it was not that common. However, they stated that the major problem with S3's are they do not power up!!! (Same thing???)
They told me to send my phone to them for a few weeks and they would have a look at it. And what am I supposed to use for 3 weeks while they have my phone? And apparently if your phone shows any signs of damage, then they will not repair it under warranty.
So, sadly I sent the phone back to amazon (no quibbles) and bought a Sony Xperia SP. A litle more money, in some ways better, some ways not so good.....but hopefully we can forge a long and meaningful relationship!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Aug 2013 08:45:50 BDT
Your contract of sales is with Amazon so it is for them to supply you with a replacement phone, not for you to wait three weeks for the Manufacturer

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2013 19:21:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Aug 2013 19:22:01 BDT
Simon says:
Fair comment Dan, but with the apparent history of Galaxy 3's dying suddenly, it is maybe too much grief to keep replacing them. I have read comments of people being "stranded" on holiday with a dead S3, so no phone, camera, media etc! I don't want to run the risk! I just hope Sony's are more reliable!!!

Posted on 3 Sep 2013 19:38:33 BDT
Flaco says:
You know, what galls me is that three idiots decided this review was unhelpful when it is anything but! I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that I don't suffer SDS now that I've got an identical unit. Much against my instinct I went for this phone on the basis that the HTC One Mini is too pricey on current tariffs and is not expandable memory-wise. You're absolutely correct in that the S3 Mini is spot on in so many respects, but so far I've had 2 Samsung mobiles die on me and so too an optical disk drive in my PC. I have a BIG question mark over Samsung reliability and I hope I don't suffer the same fault.

I have to say, though, so far I think the reception and battery life on this phone is appalling.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Sep 2013 21:13:47 BDT
I'm one of those idiots. Thanks for the insult.

This "sudden death syndrome" has never happened to any of the four Samsung phones I have owned or used for any period of time. Then again I don't need to mess about "trying to unlock" a phone. If I don't want to be tied to be tied to a contract, I buy a SIM free handset. If I ever needed to unlock a phone I pay £15 and the network does it for me, official like.

As for other Samsung devices... Never had a problem with a Samsung HDD, though did have an issue (fixed in one week) with one of two TVs. But then I read manuals, follow user guides, adhere to EULAs and NEVER 'mod' devices I am not EXPERT with.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2013 12:40:12 BDT
Flaco says:
Maybe you should have had the courtesy to express your views to the original poster rather than just down voting then. Thirty nine other voters would also seem to disagree with you. Simon's purchase WAS for a Sim Free unit, and as you can see above, it was a verified purchase. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Simon was talking about 'unlocking' the phone from it's SDS state, not from another network provider (and why do you assume he was trying to network-unlock his phone DIY style anyway? Who does that?). I think you've completely misread his post.

Glad you haven't suffered SDS with any of your Samsung devices, but as you can see, Simon and I have. Oh, and I forgot - the Samsung Syncmaster T220HD I'm typing this on died after 2 years with a faulty PSU, so sent it back for repair. I've NEVER had so many reliability problems with a single manufacturer.

Posted on 11 Sep 2013 23:12:50 BDT
My phone appears to have lost it's ability to hear. Is this a common fault? What can be done?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2013 12:12:09 BDT
Chocchip says:
I paid £2 to unlock my phone, you have been ripped off paying £15.

Posted on 21 Oct 2013 20:51:13 BDT
MrsMac3 says:
oh I totally agree, fantastic phone, unbelievable pics... when it works!! The first one went back after switching itself off and loosing all my contacts photos etc returned 3 weeks later, then the handset stopped transmitting. After tears and much moaning a replacement phone was delivered and 3 months later... yup the handset has stopped transmitting.. ah says the nice man in the shop 'common problem'. I sadly recommended this phone to two other people who have had similar experiences.

Posted on 24 Oct 2013 20:28:56 BDT
Sam11 says:
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 on contract (2 years) after 10 months mine suffered "SDS" and due to a tiny crack at the top of the screen was told it was out of warranty. So now I'm stuck in a contract with no phone, I wish this review was around when I chose my phone :(

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2013 21:01:07 GMT
Jayne says:
with so many problems with this company - 'I have a BIG question mark over samsung reliability ... ' - it begs me to ask the question why do you keep buying from them???!!!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›