5.0 out of 5 stars So I'm not the only one..., 20 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Led Zeppelin III (Audio CD)
...who thinks this is Zep's best? Thank goodness, I've always thought there was something wrong with me - whenever people have the old "is Led Zep IV or Physical Graffiti their best album" discussion, I've mumbled "what about Led Zep III" under my breath.
I bought this album in the week of it's original release, back in the early 70s, and loved it from the opening bludgeoning banshee wail of Immigrant Song onwards on first listen. What happy memories...
This was the album when Zep really unveiled what they were all about. The previous two albums had been wonderful enough, but the songs were drawn from a fairly narrow range. On this album, we had the hard rockers (Immigrant Song) and blues homage (Since I've Been Loving You) which we'd grown to expect, but the band also unveiled their more whymsical side - Gallows Pole, That's The Way, Bron Y Aur stomp, proving that they knew a thing or two about tunes as well.
Stand-out tracks - Immigrant Song (a candidate for the best opening 10 seconds of an album) and Since I've Been Loving You, on which Jimmy Page's guitar playing reached it's absolute zenith.
If you want to know what bands like The Music and Hundred Reasons have been listening to, go out and buy this. Go on go on go on go on...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Feb 2014 17:24:44 GMT
MichaeJ says:
Yes, their best album. I bought my original vinyl in London in 1980. Most people cite II or IV as their best, but for me its always been this one.

Posted on 25 Apr 2014 12:47:23 BDT
Mr. D. Bain says:
A spot-on review. I'm absolutely with you on this one Mr Gissajob. As a fellow wrinklie, I also bought this one within days of it's release. I remember the cover was a bit strange, with wheels that you could turn, providing minutes of fun whilst first listening to the album. And what an album, as you say the opening few seconds are as good a riff as you will find anywhere. I didn't make it all the way through the album on first listen because as soon as Bron Y Aur stomp finished I kept lifting the stylus and replaying it. Many years later, and after thousands of listens I still rate this album as Zep's best. There are very few albums that I loved 40 years ago that I still like now, but this one (together with King Crimson's 'in the court of the crimson king' and Miles Davis' 'Kind of Blue') is definitely one of them.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 20:13:41 BDT
Bought this when first released and never bought another LZ album! Definitely the best for me although other albums have their highlights........Stairway To Heaven; Whole Lotta Love for example. JP

Posted on 1 May 2014 01:01:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 May 2014 01:10:10 BDT
Hudois says:
I heartily concur with this review. But just to add a few points of my own...I saw them at the Bath Festival, at the end of June 1970, a few months before the release of the LP. On it's release, I too rushed out to "score" a copy of it (Am I showing my age here?!!!) Now here's where I have to own up. I was an avid fan of music of the more voluminous variety. I'd salivate over the output of Artists such as Cream, Hendrix, The Who, The Doors, Steppenwolf, Spirit, Moby Grape, The Electric Prunes, Ten Years After, The Yardbirds and...Blue Cheer, to name but a few...and...up until then, the first 2 Zeppelin albums. In mitigation, however, I was only a mere 18 years of age of at that time. Anyway,the first time I played it, I was bewildered, what are they playing at!! However, to cut a short story long, several plays later, it's true quality and glory was revealed to me, they were also lyrically brilliant as well. For sheer beauty, I think "Tangerine" is very hard to beat, and "That's the way isn't far behind it. And Blues/Rock does not come ANY better than "Since I've Been Lovin' You". Full Stop.

p.s Nearly 50 years later, and I'm STILL a serious fan of all of the above artists! Help!! Is there no hope for me?!!

Posted on 31 May 2014 03:24:45 BDT
I saw the 1970 concert on September 17th, at the Spectrum - in Philadelphia PA. I still remember the show opening w/ Immigrant Song. Back in the day, the entire front area was open - no chairs. Immigrant Song was like the Pied Piper calling me - I still remember using the backs of chairs in the lower balcony to get to the stage as fast as possible. I spent the rest of the show in amazement - dancing - and passing a wine bladder (and other things) around w/ the rest of the fans. By this date, they had all of the great material from their 1st 3 albums, and if memory serves me, I believe they introduced a few songs that would later come out on LZ 4. Yes, I saw some incredible shows at the old Spectrum from 1970 - 1974.

Posted on 18 May 2015 12:42:20 BDT
I'm still devoted to 70s music, both early and late 70s, from flares to straight-leg, from shoulder length hair to No 2 buzzcuts, from doc martins to eh ... doc martins ... In 1970 I would have been 14, and this was my first Zep album and remains my favourite. Peer pressure is a curious thing. You were supposed to prefer Zep II, probably cos it was 'heavier'. I remember an older friend slagging off this album, saying they've sold out, yet this same person loved Neil Young's Harvest? Go figure.

I think the music press back then held quite an influence over people. I used to get 3 music papers, Melody Maker, Sounds, and the NME every week, and the content was usually informative if not quite highbrow. I listened to Peel, started going to gigs, saw Zep twice at Greens Playhouse on consecutive nights.

My taste in music veered away from 'heavy/bluesy' stuff but I still love Zep, Groundhogs, Free and Cream, of course. I tended to favour more weirdy stuff such as VDGG, Magma, Can, Crimson (Red era), and then after the '76 revolution preferred Wire, The Fall, Pere Ubu, Joy Division, Beefheart ( belatedly) etc.

Nowadays I mostly take refuge in what was produced in that late 60s into 70s era. You might call it the high tide of the analogue days. But my listening tends to be cyclic, getting a craving for this or that old thing. In terms of 'heavy' stuff Led Zep 3, and sometimes their first album fits the bill. Strangely Led Zep 2 (which actually has a good few non-heavy songs!) is not one I play very often. As you get older you're allowed to admit such things. But yeah, Zep 3 works well as a whole. That's why I would never be without it in some shape or form.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›