4.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A CHANGE, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Apple iMac 21.5 inch All-In-One Desktop PC (Intel Core i5 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor, 2X2GB RAM, 1TB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB graphics) (Launched May 2011) - Older Model (Personal Computers)
I have used Windows since Win 2 (well used is a bit of a stretch for Win 2 but you'll get my meaning) and I currently have Win 7 on an I7 PC. Despite the many years of PC use I found I was getting fed up with all the alerts, Trojan's virus's and the ongoing cost of combating them all and, as I really enjoy my IPad I thought I'd give Mac's a try. Result so far; very impressed.

The IMac was very easy to setup, plugged in the ethernet cable from my BT HH3 expecting to have to enter all sorts of details a la Windows and no, it all just worked, was I amazed

From switch on until the machine is usable takes 35 seconds, Screen is crystal clear and bright. Every thing appears to be very user configurable with very little effort. I connected a Freecom drive to which I had backed up all my files from my Win 7 machine and the IMac read them without problems. Very easy, and fast to copy from the Freecom to the mac. The Mac would not write to the Freecom drive until I had re-formatted it.

I like the Icons on the docking bar and the way they bounce to let you know that they're loading. I also like the fact that I could buy a word processor, Pages, and a spreadsheet, Numbers, for £[] and download them straight onto the machine. And I'm a major fan of the back up system offered by Time Machine. Overall lots of good, useful software that's so very easy to use that I wonder how I did without - Re the machine(screen) itself there are no controls on the front of the 'machine at all and the back is fairly fuss free as well. Rear connections are 4 USB, 1 Firewire, 1 Ethernet and one Thunderbird port as well as the power lead. The on/off switch is located on the rear of the machine as well, easily reached though on the left hand side. The right side of the machine has the DVD and SD slots. Overall this is one integrated machine and with some care it can be set up with no wires showing at all.

Overall I find the IMac a class act and I am certainly glad I bought it.

Having said that there are certainly things that I think Win machines/operating system does better, or perhaps I should say, more to my liking. Firstly, the Finder (for finding files folders etc.,) is particularly unfriendly. I had Snow Leopard for a day and that was just about usable, but the one in Lion is not to my liking at all. Where's Directory Opus when you need it! Secondly, the magic mouse is poor, oh it works well enough but, because of the slim and low shape there is next to no support for one's hand. I bought a track-pad which, again, doesn't have any support but at least you can rest your arm on the table while using it, and I find that somewhat easier to use. The lack of a marked `delete' key on the very small keyboard supplied with the IMac (use fn + backspace key) is also a bit of a pain as is the lack of numeric keypad. I can understand the space argument when speaking of laptops but really don't in the case of an IMac.

Syncing calendars and phones is a lot easier with Win if you don't have all Apple equipment. For example I have an HTC phone, an IPad both of which I like to keep the calendars sync'd with my desktop. Not a problem with Win 7, but apparently impossible with Mac Lion. Because HTC see's itself as a Windows phone there is no HTC sync programme for Mac's, you can mount the phone as a drive and swap date that way and or you can update in to the Mac's ICal using GMail but what a palaver! Not Apples fault I agree but I am speaking of potential downsides here - come on HTC get a grip. What is Apples fault is the lack, or rather inability to use Flash which makes accessing a lot of the information on some web sites a pain in the bum cos it can't be done!

Four stars because of the keyboard and mouse, but as a computer - great, try it, it won't change the world but it may make life just that little bit easier, especially the auto save in Pages and Numbers. :-)

UPDATE : After some little time with the Imac I have come across a fairly large downside : to wit the built in DVD player is very slow indeed, especially when copying tracks into ITunes, be prepared to watch paint dry quicker than this. The more I use this machine the more I suspect that there is a lot of hype around the operating system. It does have drawbacks and for certain functions Windows 7 most certainly has it covered. The screen is to die for though and the more I use the Mac the more I find I'm enjoying it.

UPDATE 14-10-11 : Since writing the above I have found that the CD/DVD drive is not as bad as I thought, I think the problem was that the CD's I was copying on to Itunes (Audio books) had some sort of problem which affected the copy times. Since then I have copied several more without the same speed issue (it still isn't lighting fast but probably on a par with most other set-ups when copying into Itunes). The other great thing about this machine is not forever asking to install an update for one thing or another (32 updates in the past week for my Win 7 machine!!!!) Overall this is a machine to enjoy, and IOS5 and the cloud just make it better......

[Add comment]