4.0 out of 5 stars One of the most entertaining games I have ever played., 1 Jan 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Dead Island - Game of the Year Edition (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'm a late comer to Dead Island; I was put off by the mixed response to the game when it was released, something I regret now. I brought the game because of the excellent price it is being offered at on Amazon at the moment. Dead Island is an interesting game, and to me, it is obvious why some people were disappointed with it on release. The infamous trailer wrongly reflected what the game would be like. This game is not an emotional rollercoaster with tons of character development and a perfect storyline (not to say the storyline and characters aren't interesting.) I advise those who wish to play a zombie game of this sort to purchase The Walking Dead episodes. What Dead Island is, is extremely fun, entertaining, and possibly most importantly: Addictive. This game is madly addictive! I began playing it yesterday, and I've already put in over 10 hour's gameplay, which I've only ever done for two other games, Borderlands 2 and Assassins Creed: Brotherhood.

The main storyline itself is interesting and at times extremely tense, it just isn't plot heavy, and there has been no character development so far (I literally couldn't care less who lives or dies at this stage and I'm into Act II.) I won't spoil It, but you can pretty much gather what is happening by looking at the front cover of the game: zombie infection occurs on a paradise Island, you are not infected, so people make you do things. The lack of substance in the story is not a problem for me because the game is designed to entice you into the Island. I often find myself being set a mission involving the main story, but abandoning it to explore the Island or do side missions that are diverse (although some are repetitive.) Whilst this may be a problem to those who love a deep, interesting main plot, it's incredible for those who like to explore their environments.

Personally, I really like the gameplay and characters. You select 1 of 4 characters at the start of the game all of whom have a different amount of health, stamina and speed and are experts at certain things (eg. firearms). This allows gamers to select a character that suits their strategy best, which I think is excellent. The character can pick up a variety of weapons that will degrade with every hit, you have the opportunity to upgrade and repair weapons, at a cost. You also level up, which you do by gaining XP from completing quests and killing zombies. This allows you upgrade your abilities of your skill tree, which help you fight the zombie apocalypse.

You also run out of stamina after hitting or running for a period of time A lot of people have criticised this, however I believe this adds more tension during attacks and fights (although running out of breath can be annoying, especially when you're travelling long distances and a car isn't available.) The controls of the car for me, is one of main (and few) problems for the game. I find it difficult to control the vehicle and often crash (although I may just be awful at driving in this game period.) The melee system is fairly straightforward and effective.

The graphics are brilliant. The island looks fantastic, as do the zombies. No bugs involving graphics and textures have occurred for me yet, accept when breaking down doors, you can sometimes see inside the room before you've broke in, aside from that, no issues.

My main problem with the game for me is the map (some of it anyway.) I don't know if I'm the only one, but I sometimes get set missions and they will not appear on the map, or the map will make go a longer route to the destination. The map however is detailed, and almost exact to the area it represents.
The zombies are well designed. They're not stupid, they'll attack you unexpectedly, they'll evade your attacks, and they'll get you when your back is turned. There are a variety of types of zombies that level up with you. Which is a nice addition as this keeps the game challenging.

This game is an excellent open world game, one of the best I have ever played. It sacrifices a deep, detailed plot for a beautiful island, and tons of content, which I believe is the right choice. This game is brilliant, and at the price it is at the moment is a steal. I've played single and multi-player and their both exciting, and entertaining, so the game appears to people on who are online and offline. I'm already 90% positive I'll pre-order Dead Island: Riptide, because this is one of the most entertaining games I have ever played.

Final Verdict:
Gameplay: 8/10
Graphics: 8/10
Atmosphere: 8/10
Story: 6/10
Horror: 8.5/10
Action: 9/10
OVERALL: 8/10 (4 stars)

[Add comment]