5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and value in a comfortable and well-designed earphone, 30 Jun. 2012
This review is from: RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Length:: 3:26 Mins

RHA has recently introduced the MA450i earphone.

I own the similar-in-sound RHA earphone, the MA350 but the MA450i has several notable enhancements. The MA450i earphone has a longer, 1.5 meter cable. That's .3 meters longer than the MA350 cable and the added length is a welcome enhancement. However, the most significant enhancement in this earphone is the addition of an inline, omni-directional microphone, remote and volume control. This enables you to answer phone calls on your iPhone while listening to your earphones as well as pause and start music, change tracks and engage Voice Control on your iPhone (A double-click of the inline remote will change tracks. Holding the inline remote button for a couple seconds will engage the Voice Control function of your iPhone)

Common to both the MA350 and MA450i is:
-16-22k frequency response
-103db sensitivity
-16ohm impedance
-3.5mm gold-plated connector
-earbuds machined from aircraft grade aluminum
-fabric braided, reinforced cable

A unique feature of the MA450i and apparently common to RHA headphones is the braided cable. In this earphone, the cable is 1.5 meters in length. The braiding on the cable helps prevent tangling of the cord and it is quite effective in that regard.

The MA450i includes 7 different sizes of ear tips which nearly guarantees a precise fit. Many other earphones will include only 2 or 3 different sized tips The aluminum earbud has a ribbed end which really grabs and holds the tip on the earbud once you've installed the tip making it virtually impossible for the tip to accidentally slip off. And since these fit so closely in the ear canal, they do a very effective job of isolating outside sound. Since it is passive sound reduction, it won't completely eliminate external noise from entering your ear but it does a very very good job at reducing it. Another benefit, at least to people that may be near you while you are listening to your earphones is that the sound-isolation properties of the MA450i also prevent most of the sound from exiting your ear canal too, so you aren't as much as a distraction to people nearby as you blast music into your head.

I found the quality of sound from these earphones to be excellent and at such a reasonable price. There is a quality of construction evident in these earphones and they are backed with a 3-year warranty. Bass response was very good and without boominess. I felt that mid's and high frequencies were well balanced and the overall sound was very nice and non-fatiguing even after hours of continuous listening. The earbuds are very lightweight, have a small size and fit closely to your head so you don't look like a cyborg with large protruding objects projecting out of your ears.

I've owned many different brands of earphones, including Shure, Altec-Lansing and some no-brand. These are such a good sounding earphone for the price that you may forget how little you paid for them,. They fit comfortably, yet snugly in the ear canal and don't slip out very easily. I frequently use these when exercising and bicycling and they never slip out of my ears even when I begin to sweat.

Of course, if you want to purchase these earphones and you don't own an iPhone, iPod or iPad, you can still use them but with reduced functionality. They'll still sound sweet to your ears but you will lose most of the abilities to control volume and the other functions available to iPhone, iPod and iPhone users. For you, the MA350 may be a better choice because the sound quality is equally stellar wit the 350's. However the cord length on the MA350 is shorter by .3 meters.

I really enjoy these earphones and the added functionality of the inline remote and volume control, plus a 3-year warranty, seal the deal for me. I can't really come up with any meaningful negatives with the earphones. The inline control may possibly be a bit too close to the ear but that's sort of a personal preference. I would also prefer a more obvious designation for the left and right earbud. These are minor quibbles however and overall these are just fantastic.

RHA provided me with a set of MA450i earphones for review.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jul 2012 17:30:15 BDT
Further to your excellent review of these earphones I would like to add that RHA also provide outstanding customer service.

Following an unfortunate incident involving the heel of my boot and the right ear-bud of my MA350's, the joint on the bud split. Putting this down to customer incompetence I emailed RHA to enquire if it may be possible to repair the joint and was informed that it should not have split in the first place so they would send me a replacement set as it was covered under my warranty.

The replacement set arrived the next day (!) with a return envelope included so I could send my fault pair back for testing.

I believe their products are a combination of high-quality and excellent value, I also feel that that this level of service is often hard to come by and has resulted in me recommending RHA to my friends on several occasions.

As I use my earphones exclusively with my Android smart-phone I will definitely be upgrading to this newer model at some point in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 04:51:35 BDT
M. Erb says:
@David That is good to know and thanks for sharing that. You'll also be pleased to know that the 450i has an enhanced earpiece which actually offers an improved sound quality. The 350's were good and these are even better. I can't believe how great these sound and how comfortable they are in my ear.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 18:55:57 BDT
ND1234 says:
Great review, thank you! Really helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2012 19:28:02 BDT
M. Erb says:
@ND1234 Thank you for your kind words. I'd also like to say that I had a pleasant experience with RHA customer service. One of the earbuds made what sounded like a crinkling paper kind of sound when I positioned it in my ear. I imagine it had something to do with the air-pressure flexing the diaphragm. One email to RHA resulted in them responding and telling me that they would replace the headphones for me. No hassles, just great and immediate resolution. You don't see that everyday.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2012 19:48:46 GMT
P says:
I have only heard great stuff about their customer service, which is fantastic compared to most of the other manufacturers. Its definetely enough to make me purchase a pair of these now.

Posted on 2 Dec 2012 19:53:24 GMT
P says:
Btw, i just watched your video review. Very well done, many thanks for putting it up,

Posted on 2 Nov 2013 20:27:49 GMT
JK says:
The cable tangles very very easily. I would say even easier than normal cables.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2013 20:45:12 GMT
M. Erb says:
That hasn't been my experience. But a flat cable is more resistant to tangling than these. I don't care for flat cables though
‹ Previous 1 Next ›