5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Never Go Back, 27 April 2009
This review is from: Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens (Electronics)
What can I say that hasn't already been said? This most popular of Canon's L lenses is as good as anyone who has one says. Quite simply it's an L lens and all L lenses are the best.

My 70-200mm f/4 L lens is coupled with my Canon EOS 30D, a marriage made in heaven, and the difference from my 17-85mm IS lens is astounding. Colours are more vibrant, auto focussing is faster, mush faster, and the sheer quality of the image is brilliant.

I assume as you are reading this then you must be thinking about getting this amazing lens, well you can stop thinking now, make the decision and buy it - I promise you, you won't regret it, especially if this is your first L lens.

One word of warning, once you buy an L lens, nothing else will do! You have been warned.

One final word, about SimplyElectronics - be prepared to wait. In their blurb that say that any item in stock is usually shipped within 3 working days, often sooner. One of the reason I bought from them was the promise of a short wait. However, it took SE 17 days to send my lens, even though I sent many emails it made no difference. Each time I contacted the company via email, I had to wiat until the next day for a reply and always from a different person. I got my lens in the end, but feel very let down by the comapny - I shall NOT be buying anything from them again, I urge you to do the same.

Don't let SE's terrible performance put you off from buying the lens though, just get it elsewhere, unless you are prepared to wait - I waited 17 days when the lens was in stock, I cannot imagine how long it would take if the lens was out of stock!

Added 28th May 2009 - I've had this lens for some weeks now and it has hardly been off my camera. My problem now is that nothing less than 'L' lenses will do. I am still overwhlelmed by some of the photographs I have taken, the quality of this (and I assume all) L lens(es) is superb. I cannot praise it enough.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jul 2011 07:57:48 BDT
Thank you for your review. I have been looking/drooling at the 70-200mm L f4 lens for many years now but the cost of children and living puts a damper on buying new toys.

Anyway, I currently own a 30d (ok a bit dated now, but still a great camera) and was about to buy a new body to upgrade, then after reading your review I ditched the new body idea and decided to go for the new glass instead.

I usually get carried away with technology and forget that better lenses make the difference, I have had a few photos blown up to 24"x36" from my 8mp 30d and they look really sharp so no need for the new body (yet) but the 70-200L lens is a massive step up and should acompany my 28-135IS quite nicely.

Cheers
Jim

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2011 21:03:56 BDT
Xenophon says:
Do not under any circumstances order anything from Simply Electronics. The only thing they deliver is a debit on your card.

Posted on 17 Aug 2011 20:53:50 BDT
Great review. I agree about L lenses, I have the fixed 400mm f5.6 for birds and it is crystal sharp. I just tried a telephoto zoom lens with Macro for butterflies, mistake! I know now that nothing less than an L lens will do.

Also, do not even consider Simply Electronics, they just take your money and hold it for weeks, collecting a healthy interest rate on it no doubt.

Posted on 19 Nov 2012 16:02:28 GMT
Roy Challen says:
In agreement with most people on this lens. For the money, it is hard to do better. Also in agreement about Simply Electronics. Without a doubt the worst company EVER. Do yourselves a favour and grow your own lenses/camera equipment- it will be quicker. Personally, I'll take any opportunity to put them down, I would like to use my formidable arsenal of foul language to describe them, but I like Amazon and don't want to be barred from using them! Back to the lens though-awesome- buy one while the winter promotion is on- you get £40 off!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (198 customer reviews)

£719.99 £560.36