4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralled, 16 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions (Paperback)
Since this is an anthology, I will be giving each story a mini-review and rating before giving an overall rating of the whole book.

1. Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray
Never read anything by Claudia Gray before, simply because I've been put off vampires. This definitely has put Fateful on my wishlist. I loved the way that we get basically a mini story in this one - beginning, middle and end but I still wanted more. I already adore the twins in this and it was only a short story. Gray's writing is fantastic. (Rating: B+)

2. Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan
set in the same world as The Forest of Hands and Teeth, this one was gritty and dark, I was terrified for the characters despite having only just met them. i would actually like a spin-off following these characters and would definitely read it. The writing lacked a little something but the story made up for it. (Rating: B)

3. IV League by Margaret Stohl
I didn't really get into this one, I can't say that I was particularly interested in the characters or the stories and wouldn't read a spin off. (Rating: D)

4. Red Run by Kami Garcia
This one was amazing, I love ghost stories and this little short one was perfect. I probably would read a book based around but I think it would still work better as this short story. Garcia's writing is fittingly creepy and builds the suspense and I cared for the characters a lot. (Rating: A)

5. Things About Love by Jackson Pearce
This was a cute little love story. A little boring at some times, but I thought the characters and story were cute. I may pick up As You Wish at some point. (Rating: C+)

6. Niederwald by Rachel Vincent
Didn't read because I lost interest in the book series after book 2.

7. A Mortal Winter King by Melissa Marr
I love Donia and Keenen, and this was lot more humorous than the book series. May try to get back into this series now. Funny and sweet with a little angst, I liked it. (Rating: B-)

8. Facing Facts by Kelley Armstrong
I was warned against reading this one because I haven't read the series and there are apparently spoilers, so I didn't read it.

9. Lets Get This Undead Show On The Road by Sarah Rees Brennan
Despite not liking The Demon Lexicon because the writing was dull, I found this so funny and really enjoyed it. I would definitely read more about these guys. (Rating: A-)

10. Bridge by Jeri Smith-Ready
Beautifully written and so heartbreaking. I really need to read this series (I know, I can't believe I haven't yet!) This is written in free verse which is a nice change, very emotional even though i don't really know the characters. (Rating: B)

11. Skin Contact by Kimberly Derting
I couldn't get into this though I love The Body Finder series. I actually had to give up a page or two in *sadface*

12. Leaving by Allie Condie
Very ambitious, I think more world building was needed. Would work a lot better as a long novel (I'd definitely read it). Fantastic concept but difficult to get my head around. (Rating: C-)

13. At the Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show by Jessica Verday
Yet another story by an author that I didn't think much of from her book but wrote a totally awesome short story. Hilariously funny, definitely one of my favorites in the whole anthology. A little creepy, a lot funny! (Rating: A)

14. Gargouille by Mary E. Pearson
Another favorite short story from an author who wrote a book that I didn't think much to. I loved the idea of gargouilles, Romantic, chilling, heartbreaking and hopeful with a fantastic setting, I loved this one. I want a Gargouille book! (Rating: A+)

15. The Third Kind by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
I really liked the concept behind this one, but once again I think it didn't completely work as a short story, the ending is a bit open ended and I would have liked a conclusion. (Rating: C)

16. Automatic by Rachel Caine
Set in the world of The Morganville Vampires, it follows Michael as he tries out canned blood. I kind of flipped through this one as I wasn't gripped by this short story, a bit funny. (Rating: C-)

Overall Rating: B

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]