5.0 out of 5 stars superb iron, 22 Oct. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this iron for about a month and I am absolutely delighted with it.

After reading the user guide (which appears to be generic and dependent on the user to sort out which of the possible options is included with their iron) to see if there was anything specific I needed to do before using it, the iron was plugged in and set to work.

The first thing of note is the water tank, which has see-through sides - so you can see your water level rather than having to swing the iron around and judge by the sloshing sound inside. It is 335mls in size, so you should not have to stop ironing as many times in order to refill it. Which brings me to my second item of note.

There are 6 steam settings on the iron; however, if you need to add more water to the tank you must make sure that the steam setting is at zero for your own safety. Obviously, the higher the steam setting the more water you will use, so being able to see the water level is important.

The steam is at a base power of 50g/min with a 170g/min steam boost. Not being technically minded I'm not sure about these figures but I can say it is powerful enough to steam velvet successfully.

Using the iron is easy. The controls are, thankfully, very straightforward. Once you have plugged it in and switched it on, you turned the control disc under the handle to the type of material that you are ironing and the temperature light will indicate when the iron has reached the correct heat.

If you need steam then you push the slider to the strength of continuous steam that you need, or press the button for a short burst of steam. You also have the ability to spray some water from the iron to aid with any stubborn creases.

The cable is 2.5 metres in length and gave me plenty of slack when I was using the iron.

The iron has a given weight of 1.6kg empty, but you need to keep in mind that with a full tank of water it will weigh more. In saying that this isn't the heaviest iron we have had.

It has a smooth annodilium (metal) soleplate is supposed to be scratch resistant, so zips, clasps, studs, etc, should not have an adverse effect on the irons life span.

There is also a 2 year warranty should anything go wrong.

The iron comes with an anti-drip facility, along with anti-scale and self-cleaning, this should help stop those horrid explosions of dirt that can emanate from old irons.

In my opinion this is a superb iron, easy to use and maintain.

I can see why this iron won the "Which?" award for the "Best Small Home Appliance 2011". It is well worth considering if you are looking for a new steam iron.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 May 2012 07:50:20 BDT
SoapBox says:

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2012 17:34:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2012 17:39:52 BDT
Su says:
No I am not "a company member of staff" and I find that assertion highly insulting.

Of course it's easy to take a pop at someone for their review when you've never had the guts to review yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 23:28:30 BDT
urban raider says:
Another troll strikes from a blank profile attacking only one review on this product.

But why this review - the author is not hiding behind a pen-name, but using her own name - so it could be personal; but may be it's the review.

Well its 5-stars matches with 52 other people (14 4-star, 2 3-star, 2 2-star and 1 1-star) so it is definitely in line with the vast majority of others here. So it can't be that.

Maybe it's badly written - no it's not IMO. In fact it's very helpful.

The photos above are Susan's therefore she must have owned the iron in order to take them. It is obvious (no offence to Susan) that they are amateur photos - but they are very clear and the notes on the photos have allowed her to tell us (the buying public) what she was trying to show.

I don't know if you understand that the green band of jealousy (the amazon vine programme tag) means that Susan will have received this item through the Amazon Vine scheme - so yes she did own it. This is where people are selected by amazon (criteria unknown and no doubt various) to receive items to test out and review. Rather than put up a generic "it worked ok" type of review Susan has spent "about a month" testing the item and has then written one of the most helpful reviews on the item available.

She has told the prospective buyer the things that they might need to know in order to make the decision on whether or not to buy the iron: clear water tank, 6 steam settings, steam power (even though she's not "technically minded" she's put it in to help those who are), the controls, steam (and steam vents in one of the pictures), length of cable, the iron's weight, the fact the sole plate is smooth metal, anti-drip feature, anti-scale, self cleaning and that it has a 2 year guarantee.

Everything my sister or mother would need to know to help them decided if to buy this or not.

What I do love is the recommendation for "consideration" that she gives rather than the arrogance of the "buy it" command that some people use.

If the attacker had bothered to have a look at Susan's many (nearly 900 reviews) (s)he would have discovered she reviews a multitude of items, from books to movies and video games, from coffee to irons and kettles.

Hardly an employee of Philips or Amazon.

There is something very nasty about blank profiles who turn up on a review and attempt to make the author of the review look bad.

I agree with Susan, it is far too easy for a blank profile to "take a pop" at people who have obviously put a lot of effort into their reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2012 09:30:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2012 09:31:44 BDT
Hi Urban

Thank you for the support I really do appreciate it.

I have only ever tried to help people. I try to put things that would have helped me when I was looking at the item I am reviewing.

I have to agree that just because someone works hard on their review doesn't make them an employee of the company.

Thanks again, and no offence taken over the photos btw

Su

PS, I still own and use the iron in question, and it still works perfectly.

Posted on 23 Jul 2012 16:57:15 BDT
B. Khan says:
Which kind of electrical plug does this iron come with? I live in Sweden, we use two pronged plugs (I believe that's what they're called). I have bought other items on amazon.co.uk that have the two pronged plug but this one didn't specify..

Thank you for the extensive review Susan and thank you to any repliers.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 00:15:23 BDT
Su says:
Mine came with a 3-pin plug attached. You can buy 2-pin plug adaptors like this - Pik-a-Pak UK 3-Pin to Europe 2-Pin Earthered Travel Adapter.

Hope that helps

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 11:52:14 BDT
straw panda says:
When using an adaptor for an iron (a high load) you would need to be sure that it can handle the amperage, which could be around 11 amps here?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2013 10:30:08 BDT
Su says:
I didn't realise that there was any difference in the power quality of an adaptor. Thanks for letting me know - I'll be keeping an eye on my adaptors in future.

Posted on 28 Jan 2014 11:08:20 GMT
LJ says:
A very helpful review which helped me to make up my mind and order this iron. Thank you for taking the time to write it :)

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2014 09:38:56 GMT
Su says:
I'm glad you found it helpful when making your decision. I hope that you like the iron as much as I do.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›