5.0 out of 5 stars A super model which is easy to use., 20 April 2012
This review is from: Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display (Electronics)
Wow! got mine very quickly, worth paying for the one day postage option that Amazon offer.

I have the Kindle Keyboard 3G model which I love, I wanted a Kindle for my wife and this seemed an ideal option, thought it would be easier with the touch screen, she's not the best with gadgets.

The Kindle is similar to the model which was introduced to the range around Christmas which is an ideal size, screen is 6" E Ink. Can be seen in poor light and direct sun light.

The touch screen is broken up into sections, touch the screen one side it changes pages forward, other side goes back. Bottom of the screen is a button which serves as the home page. It is very easy to use and my wife seems to manage it with out any problems. To change the size of the text is the same motion as when you want to resize a photo or text on a touch screen phone, took a bit to work out as the user guide was hard to follow.

Using the touch screen is very easy, far more involving than my keyboard model. Found looking for a book in the Kindle store easier as the keyboard isn't as fiddly as my older kindle.
You can swipe to change pages as well as touch. If you want to look up a word all you do is press the word, much better the the keyboard navigator

I ordered the wi-fi model rather than the 3G model, I have 3G with the other Kindle I have and for the price it doesn't give much, these days your never far from from a wi-fi signal, I thought the 3G would be great when I'm on Holiday in our caravan in France, which it is, but there is also Free Wi-Fi. I also have a netbook which follows me around so can always hook the Kindle to the USB and download via that. One thing that I didn't think about was when the caravan wi-fi didn't work and then 3G is a massive must.

A few earlier Kindles had a slow page turn but these have the later software which has sorted out the slow page turn.

A superb model, might be worth upgrading your old Kindle If you want a small more interactive model. I may try and persuade my wife to have my old one and I'll have the new one.

UPDATE

First touch developed a fault, it had a line from west to east of the screen that was present all the time, tried the reset that is suggested via the Kindle help but made no difference. When you log on to the Amazon returns page it gives you a link to phone, you give it your telephone number and it rings you instantly, a chap from Amazon answered (Josh) who asked a couple of questions then arranged for a replacement which arrived next day, i also have a return postage label to send the old back with, perfect service, I bet you wouldn't get that service from one of the high street multiples.
Thank you Kindle support.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Apr 2012 17:08:09 BDT
D. GŁnter says:
Well, there is a slight difference between the Kindle 4 and Kindle Touch (apart from the touchscreen/less memory/less battery life). The Kindle 4 is 50 grams lighter. Doesn't sound much, but can make a difference in usability.

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 15:47:09 BDT
S Perry says:
I have been saving Daily Mail reward points to get a kindle for my grandson but am tempted tom give him mine and buy the touch for me. Is that mean, although he really wants the keyboard, or thinks he does!! sp

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 10:16:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Apr 2012 11:05:34 BDT
 says:
Interesting comment. I just weighed my Kindle 4 and it was 167g, whereas the Kindle 5 Touch was 217g, so you are correct.

I then placed one of my wife's small 360 page paperbacks on the scales and that read 210g.

I put the Kindle 4 plus its jacket on, and that was 277g. Did I notice the difference in weight? Hardly. In fact, the paperback was subjectively lighter feeling than the Kindle 4, but of course much bulkier.

Next, I put the Oxford Dictionary of English on the scales, which is included in the Kindles, and that was MUCH heavier and bulkier! All of my recent paper books weighed far more than the Kindle Touch.

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 12:52:02 BDT

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 12:54:13 BDT

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 14:21:35 BDT
keep dropping hints hope someone listens and i have one for my birthday in may

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 14:29:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Apr 2012 14:30:20 BDT
There is no mention of its ability to read books.
I just wondered why,I listen to books being read every night
That is my only interest really,I have more books on my kindle than any of my other e-book or my Tablet;

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 08:36:50 BDT
Rob S says:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, I'm trying to get my wife to swap the touch for my keyboard model but she is having none of it.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 11:18:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Apr 2012 16:39:39 BDT
 says:
kenneth, the Kindle Touch has sound built in and has speakers and a headphone socket.

The Touch can either read back most books in a robotic style, or you can buy audiobooks and put those on. In fact, it can also play back any MP3 file as you read.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 12:32:17 BDT
Mike, I have A Blackberry play book,I just cannot read or listen my kindle books on there ,I have robot talking e-book too, but it is a KOBO a no go,
I listen to books being read on my PC,
I just wondered why no one mentioned,touch 3G could read ; and if it was any good at it.thank you so much,I will take the plunge I guess ;
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,424 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £75.00
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Rob S "Rob S"
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: Conwy, North Wales