5.0 out of 5 stars Some serious eye candy, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Great British Tuck Shop (Hardcover)
This book is one of my secret pleasures. I flick through these pages the way other men might go through something from the top shelf of the newsagents... the only difference being that my subsequent dribbling and drooling is the result of more than just an overactive imagination. Oh, and I wouldn't think twice about reading this book in front of the vicar.

This is, quite simply, beautiful. It manages to capture the very essence of what being a child in Britain in the 70s and 80s was all about - stuffing your face full of sweets at every possible opportunity. But what sweets they were! The front cover alone has sent me on a hundred different trips down a variety of Memory Lanes. Most of them seem to take a detour via the dentist but that's the price you have to pay for having a nostalgic sweet tooth I suppose.

I must confess, I have never sat down and actually read more than a few pages of this book in one go, any more than I would do with one of those aforementioned top-shelf publications (of the sort that I know nothing whatsoever about, you understand). And the reason is the same - well, sort of; It's all about the pictures. 'The Complete Works of Shakespeare' could have been printed alongside them, I don't think I would really notice. I have tried to read this as a proper book but I really do find it almost impossible. That is no insult to the writing style of the authors either, because that is both factual and humorous. My lack of reading discipline is more of a compliment to their wisdom in devoting so much of this work to so many truly evocative illustrations. If you want more information, it's there. But if you just want to wallow in some decidedly rose-tinted shades of nostalgia, all you really need are these pictures.

It isn't all Love Hearts and Parma Violets though... the curmudgeon in me always ends up wondering aloud why sweets were so cheap in those days and I can hear myself sounding old even as I'm doing it. What young person talks to himself about half-penny pieces for one thing? But with a picture of a packet of 'Pacers' at my side, none of that really seems to matter.

I am grateful to the authors of this book for adding a great big picture of the four different flavours of 'Double Agents' to their masterpiece. I was starting to think I had completely imagined them. One day I might feel brave enough to read the accompanying text to that entry and find out why somebody somewhere decided to pull the plug on their production, something I feel sure I have never really recovered from. But until then, I'll stick to my pictures.

[Add comment]