4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and involving but don't expect 100% completion..., 20 May 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PS3) (Video Game)
I have a love/hate relationship with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. On the one hand, the game is a natural extension (and direct sequel) to Assassin's Creed II. The open world of the city of Rome and cornucopia of tasks on offer besides the main story missions provide great value.

However, while the Ezio Auditore protagonist is well-realised with a veritable arsenal of moves and free-running skills, he cannot be depended upon if you're in a hurry. Several of the missions only award '100% synch' if you complete them within a near-impossible time limit. It's during such spells that you either learn a lot about your controller's innards or even worse, give up with a newly-discovered inferiority complex. The point is, these timed events require absolute precision and allow no margin for error. Is it a coincidence that on such occasions, Ezio seems to delight in doing everything except what you ask of him? A planned forward jump from a platform results in him dropping casually over the edge and dangling, almost smirking at the leisurely pace at which he climbs back up (tick-tock, tick-tock). Or, at the very instant he needs to climb the wall in front of him, it's time for a bravura display of kicking off it to face the one opposite (tick-tock, tick-tock).

Obviously, the game designers didn't pick the constraints on a whim. For the utterly committed gamer, at one with his controller in a harmonic, Zen-like synthesis, and who doesn't get out much, I'm sure that an eight-minute completion of a level is worth all those lost moments of life that lead up to it. After taking an hour and a quarter to finish one such memory, I've decided that the game is so much more fun if you do your own thing and aim for 50% synch across the board. You can kill as many guards as you like, take as long as you want and - far from trying to remain undetected - announce your presence in fortified areas as brazenly as possible with a devil-may-care swagger that says, "Bring it on!"

So long as you don't care a jot about 100% achievement, you'll love it. Alas, if you're one of those that takes it as a serious challenge, be prepared to doubt your sanity as you realise it's several days of your existence that you'll never get back. Your children will grow up and your pets will die but least Ezio gets some cool armour.

EDIT 05/05/14. Three years since I wrote this review, with the release of the PS4 and its bundled edition of Black Flag, my interest in the Assassin's Creed franchise was rekindled. I revisited AC: Revelations and played it until it could be played no more, achieving 100% on every mission, collectible and challenge. And so it was with some trepidation that I wondered if I could do the same for Brotherhood. I was to discover that I would reap the benefits of so much practice: my completion now stands at 99% (despite a few hiccups with the loathsome time-limited elements).

However, two of the War Machine memories (Flying Machine 2.0 and Hell on Wheels) award 100% synch if you take no damage. Because the former in particular is a long mission and the flying part is the plenty difficult last bit, should you fail, there's no option to restart from the last checkpoint: it's an arduous go-through-the-motions to get a second attempt.

Thankfully, Ubisoft has addressed this issue in AC: Black Flag but for this game (IMO) it crosses the line between 'challenging' and 'downright annoying'. For that reason, I'm content to leave it at 1% short and move on. I've given AC: Brotherhood some 60 hours of my life and that's enough to be going on with.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 May 2011 17:15:15 BDT
Jayne says:
I couldn't agree more. I was nearly in tears after the first lair of Romulus! Eight minutes! What were they thinking! I was so pleased when I got 100& synch on AC2 I thought I would be able to achieve it on this one. No chance of that though. They have spoiled some of the missions for me and I have lost that sense of achievement when I fail the 100%. I am still enjoying playing the game, but it could have seriously done without the 100% synch challenges. There is enough in the game without that - and who wants to race through them anyway? Or avoid doing certain things or using certain weapons? Is there a reward for doing them all 100% or is it just for the satisfaction of doing it? There was no reward on AC2 but I was just happy to have done it. I really hope they don't include this on the next AC (which is another Ezio story! It's out in November so not too long to wait).

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2011 18:42:09 BDT
Chris White says:
As you can probably tell, I wrote the review after a particularly painful exploration of one of the Romulus lairs. I lost count of the amount of times I fell down that well! I don't think you get anything for 100% synch but after retrieving all six Romulus keys you can get the Brutus dagger and armour (wow-ee) from the vault below Prospero da Sierna's Borgia tower. When that 'time's nearly up' klaxon sounds, I just wish there was a control for Ezio to extend his middle finger.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2011 20:01:30 BDT
N. Gallacher says:
Hey Guys

I hear you - the non-100% synchronisation implys you are missing something by NOT achieving it, but do you not think the lairs of Romulus levels arer still easier than the temple seal ones in II? Chris - I know what you mean about dropping into that well bit, the frustration made me want to go out and hurt a small mammal!!

But HOW beautiful is this game though? Just stunning :)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2011 20:31:57 BDT
Chris White says:
Yes, the last Temple Seal one in II drove me to distraction as well! It hasn't stopped me pre-ordering Revelations though: the characters and environments are brilliantly rendered and definitely improve with each one.

Posted on 14 Aug 2012 10:25:51 BDT
I have a full time Job and have all the trophies in the game including the Gold trophy ( Receive 100 % Sync in all memories and the Davinci Disapearence ) I didn't even find it that hard and the ones I got stuck on I just found a Video tutorial on Youtube to help me out. I disagree with this review.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2012 10:55:51 BDT
Jayne says:
Hi there Edward. Would you like a Blue Peter Badge for being a smart boy? LOL only kidding. You are obviously very, very clever and a most masterful and talented gamer and no doubt have a large and impressive trophy collection, although how the hell anybody got through the level when you are in that ridiculous tank without getting hit God only knows! As for the lairs, well, it was the 8 minute time limit I could not achieve but then again, I probably could have cracked them with enough practice.

You are entitled to disagree with the review of course. You should write one yourself and put your own views forward. People might disagree with your thoughts on the game, but that's what gives the world balance. I got 93% on this one, 100% on AC2 and 100% on AC3 so I did pretty well for a female gamer with generally poor coordination and a lack of patience. I never completed AC1 though because it felt rather lacking and dull after playing the other three.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2012 11:11:19 BDT
I wanted to get all the Trophies for ACBrotherhood for a few reasons:

- I love the Assassin's Creed Franchise
- ACBrotherhood was extremely entertaining and I couldn't get enough of it
- If I didn't get a 100% sync on all the missions I didn't feel like I was it correctly

Assassin's Creed games are not the sort of game you try and race through with no patience, if you find your self doing that then I think your playing the wrong game.

I find The Assassins creed series so beautiful and relaxing at times, mostly when you are roaming round the city and the outskirts of the cities, the music is so relaxing and the graphics can look so real.

If you can't get all the trophies on this game then your not as much as a fan that sumone who has it and your rather not good enough; Don't have enough patience or abit of both.

ACBrotherhood is an amazing game with great gameplay, great story, great side missions, great Multiplayer and a masterpiece of a soundtrack

10/10

Posted on 14 Jun 2013 10:22:17 BDT
Chell says:
Mate, some of those timed runs are ridiculous. I don't perform well under pressure and so things I normally have no trouble with become finicky and annoying when the clock is ticking. I do like Brotherhood so far, but it feels like it drifts more than AC II. In AC II, I always had a contract in my pocket, I knew exactly where I had to go next, and even when I did the side challenges, it was still really obvious how to rejoin the main plot. In Brotherhood, I've spent a lot of time rebuilding Rome and taking out Borgia towers but the game feels like it has a lack of direction. It makes it difficult to navigate the game, particularly as there is SO much to do. It's also a bit more restrictive. Three of the Borgia towers were cut off from me, with no indication what I had to do to access them. In the end, I just carried on upgrading Rome, doing side challenges, killing guards, and knocking people over with my horse. Voila! Towers available :) I love the AC series, particularly the Ezio trilogy, but I feel like Brotherhood has too many tasks with too little direction. I am, however, a 'completist', and while getting 100% sync doesn't bother me too much, my need to upgrade everything and do all the side challenges and get the weapons and armour, makes this game a bit hard going for me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (164 customer reviews)

49.99 7.74