5.0 out of 5 stars The best epic fantasy I've read in a long time, 27 Mar 2011
This review is from: Gardens Of The Moon: (Malazan Book Of The Fallen 1) (The Malazan Book Of The Fallen) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book because I was going through books so fast, and wanted to find an epic fantasy series that would keep me occupied for a long time. The reviews on Amazon - both positive and negative - decided me.

A lot of people have said this book is confusing and hard to follow. I didn't find that, but you probably will if you try to read too fast. There are no wasted words, no lengthy explanations of "what has gone before." There's a vast history behind this story and its characters, but you are only told as much as you need to know right now, and what you are told is slipped in and can easily go unnoticed as the plot moves forward.

There are a lot of characters, and some are developed more thoroughly than others. There simply isn't space in 750 pages to show every character learning and growing.

The story moves forward at a good pace. In that sense, it reads more like a moderately paced thriller than an epic fantasy. But there's nothing thriller-like about the content. The world is filled with magic, and the gods move amongst mortals and interfere in their lives. If you prefer magic to be subtle, this book probably isn't for you, but if you're like me, you'll love the creativity in this world's unique system of magic.

Some people have complained that this book is a prologue to the rest of the series. It is. There are a lot of questions left unanswered. But that doesn't really matter. It's also a story in its own right - the tale of the Malazan Empire's attempts to take control of the last remaining free city on the continent of Genabackis. That story reaches its conclusion as all the threads come together in a dramatic climax.

Would I recommend this book? Absolutely. I've used Amazon for years, but never been inspired to write a review before.

Have I found what I was looking for? Oh, yes. This epic fantasy series is going to keep me occupied and happy for a long time

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Nov 2011 02:51:14 GMT
Chapman says:
Great book, great series, great review! I got halfway through book 7 and realised that I'd forgotten so much I had to start at the very beginning again. I've now read book 1 & 2 three times, books 3, 4 & 5 twice and am wondering if I'm ever going to get it all finished! :-)

Posted on 4 Oct 2012 15:17:17 BDT
Retro says:
The Alexandrian Passport

Posted on 5 Oct 2012 14:46:40 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 5 Oct 2012 14:46:51 BDT]

Posted on 21 Jan 2014 01:02:59 GMT
Kodanshi says:
I found Book 4 (I think! It is called House of Chains) in a charity shop for a mere £2. I loved the opening and the thickness of the book, so I bought it. Best book decision I've made in a long time! Definitely going to get the first few books and read them in order.

Posted on 6 Feb 2014 01:23:35 GMT
Kodanshi says:
I am now on the second book, and absolutely loved this first one. The descriptions of life in Darujhistan were magnificent. One minor point which started to grate after I noticed it: the entire book seems filled with pig-dogs - people keep growling and, especially, grunting at every opportunity.

Great story, though, and so rich in detail and history.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›