5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, much better than wireless connections, 15 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Solwise 500AV HomePlug AV Ethernet Adapter with mains passthrough & Gigabit port (Personal Computers)
Long story short: I have had a pair of these adapters for a week now and they work great, much better than using wireless. I have since brought a third adapter and I think soon I will have to buy a fourth one.

Long story long: I have never had much joy with wireless networks. They tend to work fine for a while, but they keep losing connections. When I use them in a high capacity mode, for example watching films stored on my NAS drive, then they give up before the end of the film and I usually have to power them off+on before they work again. To emphasise, I'm talking about my previous wireless adapters.

Additionally the wireless networks tend to be quite slow. When listening to music over the network (again, through my NAS drive), when I select the next track it can take up to 10 seconds to work.

With this lack of success on various wireless devices in different houses and different brands, I have always resorted to using cables. I now find myself in a rented house which is only a few years old. It just isn't possible to go round laying cables all over the house. So my first solution was to buy some more wireless adapters in the hope that new technology, new brand, new everything would work. They don't. Well, they do for a while, but then I started getting all the troubles I've had in the past such as lost connections, rebooting devices, slow speed. I made sure I use a channel that nobody else in the area is using.

I saw these adapters and thought I'd give them a try. They work just great. I don't get 500Mbps, more like 80Mbps, but that is more than enough for me. And they have been very reliable, they just work. To use them is like using a wired network. For a week now they have just worked and worked and haven't cut out or needed rebooting or any attention.

My current network is now like this....

Living room. This contains the broadband modem. I connect one of the adapters to the modem. I also connect my Sky box and PS3, along with a cheap 5-port ethernet switch, using a cable to the modem.

Study. This has my second adapter and, along with a good quality gigabit ethernet switch, I connect my desktop, my NAS drive and my network printer.

This means my Sky box, PS3, desktop, NAS and printer all have very good connections between them

Bedroom. My third adapter is a "Solwise 500AV HomePlug AV 4-Port Ethernet Adapater" which allows me to plug in my other Sky box and my Blu Ray player, and having 4 ports means I didn't have to buy an ethernet switch.

Spare Bedroom. Has a computer for the wife's use. Still connected via wireless, I think this will have to be another purchase of one of these units.

And various connections over wireless, such as tablets and smart phones. Here the wireless seems to work as well as you'd expect. I mean, looking at a few dozen web pages, checking email and doing a bit of facebook hardly taxes the system does it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]