5.0 out of 5 stars For Games and films, 14 April 2012
This review is from: DELL 860-10161 - UltraSharp U2412M 24" IPS Monitor Black (Electronics)
I bought this as an upgrade to a 4 year old ultrasharp 2007wfp which has a native resolution of 1600x1050 and I had been using for games and films and I was happy with. But since rebuilding my pc I was looking for a monitor that would at least stretch the legs of my graphics card (gtx580).
Out of the box the u2412m default settings need a bit of a play with, as I found the brightness and contrast levels to high and the RGB levels a little off on some colours.

For those that are interested once I calibrated the monitor my setting were
Brightness 45
Contrast 75
Sharpness 50
Gamma PC
Aspect 16:10
R 97
G 92
B 94

With these setting everything looked a little more vivid an did not leave an after glow on my retina. I use my pc mostly for films and gaming and found that the dark scenes in films were very black with non of the grey black you see in some monitors and the colours in my gaming seemed so much more alive than my old monitor.

A lot of people say that the input lag is not low enough for gaming, but to be honest this is nonsense, if your eye can tell the difference between 2ms and 8ms then your super human. I have absolutely no problem playing any games on this monitor and my pc is quick enough to run max setting at 1900x1200 on all the games I play. MW3, wow,BF3, and all the latest's games look amazing in 24" and I highly recommend this monitor for gaming. If you're a graphics designer then you may want to go for the next model up which I believe has a higher gamut but for the everyday pc gamer its hard to beat this panel at this price.

Adjusting the setting is easy with the side keys and the build quality I found to be perfectly fine, its not like I'm going to move this panel around every day it pretty much will sit in the same spot for long periods of time so it does not need to be bomb proof. The stand is great with loads of adjustment in all the expected planes, you will easily find a good viewing position. I have had to move back from the screen a little as going from a 20" to a 24" is filling me vision some what.

When I'm not gaming or watching films the 16:10 ration means there's a lot of space to browse the internet and have other programs like iTunes or cpuz running without anything being covered up, great for benchmarking and other multitasking.

Very pleased with this monitor and at this price can't really argue.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jun 2012 15:03:16 BDT
Hi. I too am going to be replacing a Dell 2007wfp which I've had since 2007 and really like, do you think the u2412 actually improves on the 2007's colours and image quality? I do quite alot of photo editing and this is really important to me, I've thought about a u2711 but would prefer to pay less than half the price. I'm not a pro, just want as good colour reproduction as possible for a reasonable price.
Did you think the monitor was a noticable improvement generally over the 2007fpw? Thanks for any advice. Mike.

Posted on 16 Jun 2013 21:14:51 BDT
Lee says:
There is effectively no input lag on the U2412M. By loaning out some seriously expensive dedicated hardware, Prad.de measured it as 0.9 milliseconds.

The testing methods commonly used by review sites are garbage and give totally wrong figures. They simply do not have the equipment to measure it properly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›