16 of 20 people found the following review helpful
Not as good as it should have been!,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Michael Flatley Returns As Lord Of The Dance [DVD] (DVD)
This Review is based on the standard (not Blu Ray)version.
It's almost inevitable that this production will be compared with the 1998 "Feet of Flames" production, recorded in Hyde Park. And, to be brief, it doesn't cut the mustard.
When comparing the two, the major negatives with this production are the technical aspects:
- the picture is very "letter-box", and does not fill the screen at standard settings.
- the picture is dark and lacked the clarity that better stage lighting might have delivered.
- the background is confused and confusing: a multiplicity of images blending and separating detracted, in my opinion, from the skill of the dancers.
- the camera work is poor: there are too few close-ups of the individual dancers and the result is that one is constantly straining to catch the detail.
- and as other Reviewers have noted, most of the deleted scenes should have been retained.
On a more positive note, the costumes looked good but the colours are weak. The sound is good, but the sound levels are lower than normal.
Altogether a disappointing production which lacked punch and did not live up to expectations!
Tracked by 1 customer
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Sep 2011 15:41:38 BDT
I absolutely adore watching Michael Flatley dance. Having bought DVDs of all his shows, I was greatly looking forward to purchasing this latest one, but having read Don Ramsey,s review, I now will not buy it and so save myself from being disappointed. What a shame, but thank you Don you have saved me wasting money.
Posted on 7 Oct 2011 17:22:37 BDT
Roger C. Cubitt says:
I wholeheartedly agree with the above review. The dancing is great but everything else a bit grim - save your money !
‹ Previous 1 Next ›