5.0 out of 5 stars Updated: Needs a price and content revision before UK Kindle is released, 6 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Telegraph (Kindle Edition)
Currently The Telegraph offers an "e-paper" edition through their website. This is in full colour with all the pictures from the newspaper.

Unfortunately the description from this edition doesn't seem to have changed from when the Kindle edition was being offered to US Kindles. It says that pictures and charts are not included, yet the price is 50% higher than the "e-paper" edition.

I'm hoping that this is because Amazon have simply copied the details of their US offering onto the UK website and that The Telegraph have yet to update how they will deal with delivering their UK newspaper to UK readers using UK Kindles.

They will need to reduce the price to the same as the e-paper (or maybe include a slight premium to take account of the delivery over Whispernet) and increase the content to the same as the e-paper - i.e. to include pictures and charts (in colour for those that read on PC, iPad, etc.)

I was looking forward to getting my Telegraph delivered automatically every day to my new Kindle when it arrives. But I refuse to pay a 50% premium for a cut-down service.

Importantly, since the Kindle now includes a webkit web-browser, Amazon and The Telegraph need to provide a unique selling point to justify why I should pay for a subscription service rather than just use the web-browser and free 3G to browse their website.

UPDATE:

Since my original review, the price has been reduced to the same as the "e-paper" edition. In my view this increases the value-for money substantially and I have therefore awarded an additional star.

What would now be required to score higher? Well I really would like it if a human being actually bothered to read the Kindle edition before posting it for download. Currently the text in many articles is jumbled, with paragraphs (presumably from boxouts in the print version) sometimes appearing randomly in the middle of the body text of stories - sometimes even in the middle of sentences! Also lists and similar text is often not formatted, which makes it difficult to read. A better use of headings, bold and just basic formatting would demonstrate that The Telegraph Group are willing to pay more than lip-service to this edition. Just a bit of care and better presentation would be worth 4 stars in my book.

To get 5 stars would require all of the above along with pictures and tables.

UPDATE 2:

Well it seems that Telegraph Group have been listening. The Kindle version of The Telegraph now has pictures included, and they have obviously changed their process for converting the newspaper into the Kindle format, as it no longer has jumbled text within articles.

As promised above, this means that it now gets a 5 star review from me.

My only remaining niggles are:

1. We don't get Matt's superb cartoons. This is one thing that I really miss from the physical version.

2. The newspaper can now be read on mobile phone versions of the Kindle App (at least on my Android device) - thank you! However why prevent it from being downloaded to the PC versions of the app? Sometimes I don't want to waste the battery life of my phone and don't have my Kindle with me, so it would be nice to be able to download the paper to the PC app for use, for example, on a train journey where mobile internet coverage is patchy, and therefore the Telegraph website is not accessible.

3. There is usually one article each day which is actually made up of a number of smaller stories. For example today there is an article which is listed in the index as "The stamp of history" which is about the new Olympics stamp. However this article actually has 7 completely distinct stories with topics as diverse as pigeons getting into an office through a revolving door, off-road vehicles wrecking a country track and radio stations going back to playing vinyl records. If you weren't interested in the topic of the first story it would be easy to skip over the article and never know about all the other stories. I suggest either splitting out each of these stories into their own articles, or have a separate heading for the whole article which is the same every day (e.g. "In other news...") and draws attention to the fact that this article contains several stories.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Aug 2010 17:54:03 BDT
govanhill says:
Have you actually bought this?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2010 00:16:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Sep 2010 00:17:54 BDT
S. Bryce says:
I hadn't when I wrote the review. I was comparing the stated description against another product available from the Telegraph - i.e. a full version of the paper with pictures - or indeed simply using the Kindle's 3G browser to view the website.

When my Kindle arrived, I did buy the trial subscription, and while it is better than nothing, it leaves a lot to be desired. The stories do lose something without the pictures, but this is not critical. What is really unacceptable is that the publishers clearly cannot be bothered with this version. The text is often jumbled, with odd paragraphs (which were presumably boxouts in the print version) just dumped in the middle of the body text - sometimes right in the middle of unrelated sentences. Also headings and other titles in an article are not differentiated, which makes them difficult to read.

This edition seems to be generated automatically and then not actually reviewed by a human before it is dumped out onto the Kindle. I find this unacceptable - it's worse than the paper version of The Guardian in the 1990s, it really is that bad.

This is an incomplete and poorly laid out version of the paper.

My free trial is up at the end of the week, and I haven't yet decided whether to allow it to start charging me. For all it's faults, this version of the paper is convenient as I don't need to buy it in a shop, and is more environmentally friendly. But the broadsheet has the pictures and they make the effort to use a human to lay out the articles to make sure that they are actually readable.

They have at least dealt with one of my complaints - this now costs the same as the "epaper" version.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2010 14:49:53 BDT
I agree with all you have said. I have bought this but will probably let it lapse. The formatting would seem to be done automatically-hence the errors and if a human would actually check it beforhand, it would be so much better.

Posted on 9 Jan 2011 21:42:25 GMT
Mr. N. Lee says:
I wish you had said in the penultimate sentence, "...would be worth 4 stars in my e-book." :)

Posted on 12 Aug 2011 13:23:08 BDT
workerbee_uk says:
Adding inmsult to injury as uaual...though a past Amazon.co.uk. customer , living in Spain I was forced to buy my Kindle from Amazon.com in US and use the US Kindle Store.I am incensed today to be encouraged to buy the UK Telegraph from the UK Kindle Store at two thirds the price of the US Kindle Store....and their free History books, for example, are nearly all US and their army!! So much for the EC common market.

Posted on 29 Jan 2012 09:18:06 GMT
JABITheW says:
They really are listening to you! Time for update 3: Matt now included. Just as well, he's one of the best bits of the paper.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.3 out of 5 stars (210 customer reviews)

9.99