5.0 out of 5 stars Storytelling art at its best., 11 April 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: BioShock Infinite (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I've just finished playing this game. Reality doesn't seem quite as stimulating as the journey I've been on over the last few days. Its been a rollercoaster ride. I've certainly played better shooters, though to be fair, there is nothing wrong with the choice of firepower or special powers. Its just that this game isn't really about shooting things. What this game is about, is the story. Quite simply, its the most immersive game I've ever played, by a country mile.

Now, this makes a review rather difficult. I can't really talk about the story without giving it away, but the story is what this game is about. So be sure to pay attention to all the audio clips and pictographs you find along your way. I must have missed a few, looking at the achievements at the end, but I certainly got enough to weave the tale for me.

And what a tale. Sorry, but you will just have to take my word for it. I will mention the mundane stuff now, but quite honestly its irrelevent. Buy this game now if you like a good story. If you are rubbish at games, set the level to easy and muddle your way through. I played on hard, and it is really hard in places but doable in the main.

So, the mundane stuff. Graphics were excellent. I love steampunk, and this game is full of it, as are the previous Bioshock encounters. I didn't have any issues with textures or anything. The game NEVER crashed on me. Production levels were superb. I particularly like the automatons, they really did add to the eerie atmosphere.

Sound too, was top notch. Indeed, its worth watching all the end credits for some bonuses on that front.

Gameplay?

It can be repetitive, but only as much as you make it. If you stick to the sniper rifle, and the crow skill, it is boring. If you stick to the rocket launcher and the electric skill, it is boring. Basically, if you do the same thing over and over, it gets boring. So don't. Mix it up a bit. Explore using different weapons and skills. And explore different gameplay tactics.

Replayability?

I'm not sure, it may be interesting to replay and look for the things I quite obviously missed. Its just a shame that I cannot forget what I've experienced over the last few days first. There is an option on the main menu for downloadable content. So perhaps more bits will be added at a later date. I can't for the life of me see how though. The story is complete in itself.

Play this game. Now. If you have any imagination and sense of wonderment in you, you will not regret it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]