3.0 out of 5 stars A Messy Little Album?, 13 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Messy Little Raindrops (Audio CD)
Cheryl Cole has reached solo star status after being on the x factor and releasing her first album in 2009, 3 words. Now she has ventured on to her second album Messy Little Raindrops. I admit I was a little surprise to hear she was going to release a second album so quickly after her first one, as I believe an artist should take their time to promote their current album and grow artistically. But Cheryl Cole been through divorce, fought a life threatening illness and is rumoured to be already dating, so this should be enough material for a new album right???
Let's start off...

1) Promise This
I can see why this would be the lead the single off the album as most of the songs don't have enough substance to be the first single. When I heard it for the first time, I thought it was okay but the song grows on you which it did for me. It sounds like a powerful fast dance track, almost like a catchy battle song. And it also samples a French children's song which makes it an easy fun listen. 8/10

2) Yeah Yeah (Ft Travie McCoy)
I'm not too sure about this song, I think it's a new direction from Cheryl and the travie mccoy feature is a bit random. But overall it sounds like a summer dance song, but the lyrics and the overall of the song just don't connect for some reason. But a mature sound, maybe a grower. 6/10

3) Live Tonight
This song starts with a guitar intro, and falls into a pop beat, guitar driven song. The song speeds up in the chorus and slows down in the verses. The song is about taking a chance in love. I do think it is a cute little song, but the song doesn't do anything for me. 5/10

4) The Flood
This will be the second release from the album. It's an up-tempo ballad song. I enjoyed listening to the chorus much more then the verses. It's nothing special But I'm sure another hit for cheryl cole.
6/10

5) Amnesia
When I first heard this, I did think it did sound a bit backdated. However I heard it again and I really enjoy listening to this song, it's has an oriental tone with an r'n'b sound to it. 8/10

6) Everyone (Ft. Dizzee Rascal)
I think cheryl's voice sounds out place here because the track is too heavy to carry her almost paper thin voice. I did find the song kinda lame even if dizzee is featuring the song. Most likely to skip this song. 5/10

7)Raindrops
When I first heard the first 30 seconds of the song I did snigger little. "You were the tree and I was the apple, And fell to the ground and turn brown". I don't know what happened there but not a great way to start a song. Just a simple song. 5/10

8) Hummingbird
I enjoy listening to this. I found it to be catchy fun whimsical pop song, and her voice sounds good in this song. 7.5/10

9) Better To Lie (Ft. August Rigo)
The beat of the song does sound similar to keri hilson's knock you down but the song is typical r'n'b flavoured song. Nothing special. 6/10

10) Let's Get Down
A lot of people like this song but me I think it's a hit and miss. First of all I found parts of the song really cringing...referring to yourself and your girls as 4 vulgar middle aged women when one of them is going through menopause is uncomfortable and awkward for me to listen. The beat is the only saving grace from this song. Cheryl sounds like a try hard and will.i.am verse sounds off. FAIL 4/10

11) Happy Tears
One my favourite songs from the album. Yes the lyrics can sound cheesy but I found this song uplifting. And to be honest Cheryl sounds the most frank and emotional in this song. 8.5/10

12) Waiting
A quick way to end the album, its disco dance song which sample "thousand miles". Its a go happy song might get you dancing or bopping your head to it, or you might just skip it in embarrassment. 6/10

Overall I found the production lazy, and found Cheryl whiny, and awkward. I'm guessing she is still trying to find her sound and place in music. Cheryl Cole diehard fans will love this, while others will find this a hit or miss. Just to clarify I like cheryl since girls aloud, but this album does not cut it. The lyrics can be god awful embarrassing but her vocals have slightly improved or maybe that's because of the studio enhancements...i don't know. More of a drought than a raindrop, flood or happy tear.

The album if full of easy listening songs nothing to deep there are some songs I do like but nothing memorable, but i feel Cheryl fails to connect with some of the songs her voice sounds mono tone no emotion...nothing compared to 3 words. But doesn't matter? No because this will still top the charts and sell. However hearing Cheryl will use this album to break America...good luck

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]