5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Great Smart Phone!, 24 Oct 2011
This review is from: Samsung I8150 Galaxy W Sim Free Smartphone (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this phone a week ago, and there had not been any user reviews on this phone since then. As I really really like this phone, I think I am obligated to provide some reviews to help the others.

Prior to my purchase, I did some research between this phone, Galaxy S2 and HTC Desire S for roughly two weeks. At the end I had decided to go with this one, and yes I think IT WAS THE RIGHT CHOICE! (*huge grin*)

Comparison
-------------------------

Although on Amazon it said this phone would be released on the 18th October, for some reason Galaxy W was already available in the O2, Carphone Warehouse and 3 shops! so I had a chance to look at the phone physically. The reason that I didn't go for Galaxy S2 was I think it was slightly too big. Yes it is really powerful but I don't need all of those powerful ability and I found it a bit noticeably big to carry around. Also I didn't go for HTC Desire S as, to be honest, in my really personally opinion, I didn't think the Desire S looks good in the 'Uni-body' design, I preferred the old Desire S design. I could not get used to the four captive buttons at the bottom (but I found Galaxy W's two captive buttons were totally intuitive to me) and I found that there are some performance issues with the user interface too, for example the screen transition is not as smooth as an iPhone. On the other hand, with 1.4 GHz processor I think the user experience of the UI on the Galaxy W, especially the smoothness of the UI, is really really close to the iPhones IOS.

The Galaxy W is roughly as big as the HTC Desire S, but it is lighter (quite a lot lighter), a bit thinner, and prettier I think. Again the look is really subjective I think. But the mesh look and feel of the plastic back cover really works, I think. Unlike in some video preview the guy thought it feels cheap, I think it feels solid, firm and looks great.

Performance
-------------------------

I am a software engineer, and my colleagues sometimes referred me as the 'Performance Freak'. OK I admit, I cannot tolerate low performance electronic gadgets. But Galaxy W, is absolutely blowing my head off. For last 7 days of usage, I had never found any performance issues. All tasks have been running smoothly (note they are in the multi-threaded environment, and strictly speaking iPhone isn't!); UI has not been frozen up or anything like that, and has always been responsive; Not a single system failure, the Android system has been stable for last 7 days.

Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja have been running smoothly as well, no lagging whatsoever. Comparing to this, Angry Birds on Galaxy Ace does not run smoothly though!

Display
-------------------------

The display of Galaxy W is really impressive. I have to say, it is not as good as iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S2, and not as good as Sony Xperia Arc. However it's good enough for £270 middle range smartphone, it is not a high-end phone after all. The Print-On-Paper effect is pretty obvious on the Galaxy W LCD I found, makes the text both sharp and soft (not contradictory I think!) and the pictures really bright and stand out.

One of my colleagues commented on my phone today, he said "Your phone's display looks much better than my HTC Wild Fire S". Please note during the day I set the brightness of the phone as quite dim but he still reckon it's better. I think the problem of HTC Wild Fire S is that the picture looks quite far away from the glass, so there is a gap in between consequently it doesn't look as good?

Battery
-------------------------

It comes with a 1500 mAh battery, well, not a lot I can say, nothing surprising unfortunately. As I know that, with heavy usages, e.g. lots of gaming, GPS and internet browsing, it won't last a day. Normal internet browsing, some facebook posts, some music, maybe it will last a day and a bit. There are loads of APPs to optimize your battery performance anyway, so please look into that if you are interested.

For last three days I've not played with the phone a lot, as I've been a bit busy last weekend, and not had a chance to play with it. I managed to use only 25% of the battery on day one, 35% on day two, and if I really pushed it, I think it would've lasted over three days. Oh well, I only made two short phone calls I must admit.

Others
-------------------------

I found the internal memory is quite generous. I can't remember what the quoted internal memory was, but when the phone arrived, there were roughly 2.7 GB of available space on it. I was told this is much more than the HTC Desire S? My mate told me he struggled for the available internal memory all the time.

Software, well, what can I say, it's an Android system you know. It's all about the freedom, you can copy in or out anything you want, install anything you want. On top of that, I found the built-in Samsung's Kies Air software is really useful though, you can use it to sync files (photos, music, apps, phone books, SMS and any files) wirelessly with your PC. It's easy for a quick drop of stuff, when you are feeling lazy to plug it into the PC. I installed a number of useful apps from the Android App Market, namely the 'Go' series, Winamp, Advanced Task Killer etc. Consult any Android forum you will know which ones I am talking about.

-------------------------
Conclusion
-------------------------

To conclude, as the title says, I think Samsung Galaxy W is a great smartphone and this is definitely my best gadget I bought this year. If you are looking for a middle range, middle spec'ed, middle priced phone, I think it's one of the most popular choices. I chose it over HTC Desire S (with similar spec and price), and I am glad I did. Finally I hope this review could be useful to you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-26 of 26 posts in this discussion
Posted on 8 Jan 2012 20:18:28 GMT
Hi Timmy

I have just got this phone, its great, can you recommend any APPs to optimize battery performance?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2012 13:48:18 GMT
Timmy says:
Hi aviswilliams, the APP I've been using is called 'Advanced Task Killer', there is a free version available on the market. It's a really really good app. I configure the 'Auto Kill Level' to 'Aggressive' and 'Auto Kill Frequency' to 'Every half hour'.

I don't use the phone a lot now and I consistently get 3 or 4 days of usage without charging it.

Posted on 20 Jan 2012 21:24:53 GMT
A. Maxwell says:
Thanks for the great review. I too am deciding between the HTC Desire S and Samsung Galaxy W ( also the Nokia Lumia 800 ). And this review really helps me to make my decision.

Posted on 28 Feb 2012 22:34:42 GMT
mbarritt says:
Hi I am going to upgrade my contract phone this week, and I have also been looking at the exact same phones you have mentioned. This will be my first touchscreen/android phone, and to be honest my first non-nokia phone for 7 years. I am slightly daunted by the thought of it, but now i have read your review, i think i will happily go with the same choice. I was slightly swayed by the desire, as everyone keeps telling me HTC is best, and for the same reasons i decided not to go for the galaxy s11. Way too big.
thankyou for sharing your review. I hope i am making the right choice.......but then I'll be scared of any new phone (RIP Nokia!!!)

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 20:04:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2012 14:05:43 BDT
Timmy, Thanks to your review i have just brought the phone off Amazon. This is just the phone i need for my lifestyle. does what i need without paying over the top for a phone.

1 extra question Timmy, do you know the max external memory i can put in the micro sd slot. I was looking at buying a 16gb one. Thanks in Advance

Posted on 10 Oct 2012 21:19:57 BDT
Sabina says:
Fabulous review. Thanks.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (42 customer reviews)

Reviewer