5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Hunt here I come, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Miller's Antiques Handbook & Price Guide 2014-2015 (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I received this book free via the Amazon Vine programme (as did all my fellow 'Vine' reviewers, but none of them has bothered to mention the fact for some reason).

My interest in antiques is solely derived from avid viewing of 'Bargain Hunt' whenever I'm at home on weekday lunchtimes, a sure sign of impending old age, but it does make you look a bit harder when you're out and about at a sale or in a second hand shop.

This is a lovely book to own, with beautiful photographs of thousands of wonderful (and not so wonderful) objects. You couldn't take it with you to an antiques fair or a boot sale as it's too big, but it should be very useful to help you do your homework beforehand if you're interested in a specific subject.

I wouldn't have bought it if it hadn't been offered to me for nothing, but having received it, I've spent a good few hours already enjoying looking through it. I'm delighted to be able to say it has confirmed my pre-existing opinion that everything old that we own is rubbish.

Others have said it's a great coffee table book, and I'd have to agree. Sadly though, I can now see that our coffee table is made of genuine chipboard.

However I'm sure if you're involved in any way in the antiques world, it must be an essential purchase to keep abreast of the current state of the market.

When you're dealing with the definitive work on any subject, it's fairly pointless giving it any less than five stars, and I can't think of anything else I can usefully add.

Into antiques? Buy this book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Oct 2013 15:54:22 BDT
donegalgirl says:
Your comment suggests that you think Vine reviewers are doing something underhand by not stating that they get items free. Vine reviews are automatically flagged up by Amazon in bright green at the top of the review so it is easy for anyone who is interested to find out what Vine is via the link and there is no subterfuge. Re-stating the Vine connection seems superfluous. I am not in the club (I live in hope but since I haven't posted any reviews there is no chance of that!) but I don't feel any further explanation is required.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2013 17:52:06 BDT
Blake Paine says:
Thanks for your comment.

I don't think others are doing anything underhand, but I simply think it helps other people to know that the item being reviewed hasn't been paid for by the reviewer without having to go through all the Vine information.

As you're clearly able to write good English, why not try writing a few reviews? You never know, Mr Vine might come calling.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (100 customer reviews)

30.00 16.32