5.0 out of 5 stars BON JOVI ARE BACK, 28 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Circle (Audio CD)
Right guys and gals. This is the album we have been waiting for from the boys.

Forget Lost Highway and all that rubbish. It is clear that all that was filler while they spent those 14 years since These Days writing this masterpiece.

Also, forget the single, We Weren't Born To Follow. It's a decent song but in the end it's another It's My Life clone and certainly do not use it as an indicator of the sheer quality of the work on this record.

I've heard the leak (knowing full well that I will be buying on release day) and songs like When We Were Beautiful, Work For The Working Man, Superman Tonight, Bullet, and Love's The Only Rule will be instant classics. The rest of the tracks are also brilliant work and far better than the album tracks on the other albums released this decade.

I will highlight these songs however because When We Were Beautiful is the perfect Keep The Faith-style growing meaningful anthem; Work For The Working Man is the Slippery When Wet-style raunchy rocker for the modern day. Bullet completely took me by surprise- Richie is absolutely on fire in this song with his guitar work (and makes similar contributions throughout the album), it's grungy and the talkbox is on full display, you want to be shouting this song out with 30,000 others in a stadium.

Superman Tonight is the best, absolute best Bon Jovi ballad in a long time. And I'm talking POWER on this one, absolutely brilliant.

Love's The Only Rule is my surprise favourite song so far (hard as it is to choose a favourite). I will not spoil this one for you, but when I got to track 9 and this is what I found I remembered what I really love about this band.

On previous 2000s records Bon Jovi have shown they can still write good songs, in 2009 Bon Jovi show they can still write an absolutely kicking album that you will never want to stop listening to.

The superb songwriting is matched by excellent production. You can distinctly hear the contribution of each band member and the drums and bass in particular are very powerful and contribute to the mix being pretty much the perfect marriage of the Bon Jovi style with 2000s production.

I cannot wait to see the band tour this album (I won't be paying the O2 ticket prices though!). Seriously buy this and get Bon Jovi back to number 1 in the UK, this album more than deserves it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]