3.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE OF CLEARANCE WITH AXLE STANDS, 14 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Liftmaster 2.25 Ton Multifunction Low Entry Profile Trolley Jack with LED (Misc.)
I bought this jack along with a set of Draper expert axle stands (Heavy duty pin-locking type) as I wanted a solid setup and don't trust the cheaper ratchet-style stands which are currently spec'd with this jack in the 'Amazon bundle' section.

I unboxed the axle stands first and was thrilled with the size and quality.

I then unboxed this jack and was surprised at how small it actually is. It seems solid enough and is packed with a few nice features as I'm sure the product listing will tell you but I couldn't help notice there is a LOT of play side-to-side in the various linkages. The bar/handle itself for operating the jack has huge amounts of play both where it slots into its linkage and in the linkage itself which compresses the piston.

My main cause for concern however was when I placed the jack along side the axle stand. I set the stand at its lowest setting - barely tall enough to get my head and upper body under the vehicle, let alone work on it from that position - and proceeded to raise the jack to its maximum lift. This confirmed my doubts. The jack fully raised is the same height as the stands at their lowest setting and therefore impossible to use to jack my car onto the stands.

Picture: [...]

In hindsight I should have double and triple checked heights etc before making the purchase but as this jack was listed with Draper stands, albeit the ratchet style, I did not foresee any problems.

I now have to decide whether to return a 15kg package or try to use wooden blocks for extra lift (something which undermines the purpose of a LOW ENTRY jack in the first place).

I will not slate this product altogether as I'm sure I would have similar problems with most cheap trolley jacks but it is something to consider before making your purchase.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]