3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stand, poor quality control, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: NEW BICYCLE REPAIR WORK STAND NEW DESIGN WITH QUICK RELEASE HANDLE AND CLAMP HOME CYCLE BIKE MECHANICS MOUNTAIN ROAD PROFESSIONAL code ; A146 (Misc.)
This product arrived broken. I'll detail the damage and how I fixed it at the end of my review. I think it's worth telling you about the damage/repair as it appears to be a flaw in the design.

If you can get past the design flaw (and I show you how to at the bottom of this review), this is a GREAT bike stand! It's very substantial, and built from powder-coated or painted steel. Parts of it might be powder-coated, but let's call it coated steel.

Assembly is a bit of a pain as there are some tight tolerances, but it all goes together simply enough. You'll need a little strength in your hands to fit everything together though. Once assenbled, it's rock solid and just about perfect. As the legs open, the top collar (where the legs all meet, if you look at the photo) slides down, eventually encountering a machined stop in the centre column, so you can't over-extend the legs. The stand in the photo doesn't have the legs open at their fullest extent, they open wider than that when at the stop and make the stand really stable.

As the tolerances between moving componants are fairly tight, there is not too much for the quick-release clamps to do, so they work very well, locking the stand at the desired height. The top arm is a little like a crane, and holds the bike securely. Note that you put the fixed half of the clamp jaws at the bottom, and the moving quick release part at the top. This ensures you just lock the bike in place with the moving jaw of quick-release clamp, not support the weight of the bike. I'm 6'4" and this stand extends to a little taller than me, so I assure you it will hold your bike as high as you need.

There's a tray with a magnetic strip provided that you can fit, which is handy.
It's a great stand and I can see me using it a lot, and it lasting for a long time.

Now, the design flaw: As I mentioned, when you open the stand legs, the top collar slides down, pulled by struts approximately in the middle of each leg, which are all attached to a flanged bottom collar by bolts. The bottom collar is made from what appears to be some sort of theromset plastic, which is hard but a little brittle. The flange on the underside of the collar stops the central column from sliding through the collar and touching the ground. The flange on my stand was broken, so this meant when I opened the legs, the both collars moved on the central column, and the result was instability. Initially I decided to just glue the flange back onto the collar, but I figured sooner or later the column would knock against the flange and just pop it off. So I glued the flange to the collar AND glued the collar to the shaft. I degreased the collar and column, as they were quite oily, then used 24 hour Araldite to glue them and gave it 3 days to ensure it was completely set. (See picture I've uploaded.) This solved the problem nicely. I suspect this stand had been assembled before and that was how the flange became broken.
My gripe is, that as the stand comes disassembled, whoever packed this stand KNEW it was broken when it was shipped. So for that customer contempt, I've dock two stars off the review score.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Sep 2013 13:29:39 BDT
Alan Russell says:
Good review. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2013 13:12:58 BDT
Not sure that this post actually relates to the advertised product! The design fault mentioned relates to a tripod stand which I do not think this particular stand has. From other descriptions it appears to have two push in feet and a bar that is inserted through the back to provide stability. I apologise if I'm wrong, but if I'm right the picture and the post should be deleted.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2013 07:47:04 GMT
Peter Piper says:
Could you clarify your concern, please? I am somewhat confused by your post. I don't understand the following:
1) You say "The design fault mentioned relates to a tripod stand which I do not think this particular stand has.". I do not mention a tripod at all, the stand has FOUR supporting legs, not three.
2) I really don't understand what you're on about when you say "it appears to have two push in feet and a bar that is inserted through the back to provide stability". Do you mean the handlebar support which stops the front wheel from yaw movement?

My picture shows the stand folded, and was taken with the stand upside down and then flipped to show correctly oriented. If you'd like further pictures, I can put some up.

Posted on 7 Jul 2014 11:44:31 BDT
Sporadon says:
Why bother to repair when you had a chance to send it back for a replacement?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jul 2014 12:00:28 BDT
Peter Piper says:
Sure, I COULD have dismantled, repackaged and returned a large 9kg parcel to a vendor I have no previous customer service experience with, and waited for them to agree the item was broken and deliver a replacement with the same design fault that the original had. But I figured it was better to repair the one I had and resolve the poor design issue myself. This means I now have a very solid stand with the design issue resolved. It also saves the vendor the cost of my return postage and the cost of sending the replacement to me. And the repair was less hassle than returning it. :-)

Posted on 22 Jul 2014 22:08:20 BDT
S Edmondson says:
Thanks for the review, mine arrived in exactly the same state, but luckily I had read your review previously so I knew it could be fixed and save the hassle of returning it. My opinion is that the plastic collar doesn't do very much in the way of supporting the central column, when the bottom quick release lever is secured it stops the tube sliding down anyway. I stuck the flange back with superglue for appearances sake. It is annoying that it was shipped like this, the broken part was at the bottom of the box, there was no way it could have broken in transit. But the stand is a great piece of kit for 32 - it could have been even better if the manufacturer had used a different type of material for the end cap.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jul 2014 07:26:33 BDT
Peter Piper says:
I'm glad my review helped you. :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›