5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic TX-L32E5B, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Panasonic TX-L32E5B 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED TV with Freeview HD - Black (New for 2012) (Electronics)
I've had this television for a fortnight now and have hammered it to see how it performs - and it is a superb telly!!
Prior to buying it, I spent a lot of time wandering around Curry's/Dixons/Comet etc looking for a (non 3D) t.v. with a knockout picture and this was the one that stood out.
So I checked out all the features and it soon became clear that the features packed into it were above and beyond any other tv at this price, so after one more trip to curry's to check out the sound, i bought it!
I've not been disappointed.

1) Freeview HD picture quality is outstanding. I got the tv on the weekend of the US Masters golf and even though i don't like golf, i found myself glued to it because of how good it looked. It is a very leafy golf course and the details on the trees in the distance was brilliant, and you could actually see the ball flying through the air!! I've since watched the Chinese Grand Prix (again, i don't even like formula 1) and the FA cup semi final (Chelsea-Spurs) both in HD and they were both perfect. To me, the Freeview HD on this telly is like looking through a window, it is that clear.

2) Standard definition Freeview is also excellent. I have an 18 month old daughter, so we watch a lot of cbeebies!! In the night garden in particular is a show with loads of bright colours and they show up incredibly well defined.

3) The SCART socket. I have Sky+ (not HD) and initially, when i hooked up my scart lead to the supplied adapter, the picture quality was awful - there was terrible interference from the built-in freeview channels. This was most apparent if the freeview channels had text-heavy programmes such as news channels - if you left one of the many shopping channels on and turned to the sky feed, you could clearly see all the details of the products being sold and for what price in the background of the sky programme! A quick look at google made me realise it was my cheapo scart lead that was the problem, so I ordered a fully insulated cable with metal heads for about 7 quid (from amazon) and bingo, its all sorted!! Not HD-standard obviously, but very clear SD which is fine by me.

4) The HDMI connections allow me to connect my laptop to it. My laptop has a HD screen, but when its hooked to this telly, the picture is so much better that now it is difficult to use the laptop without the Panasonic screen anymore because the difference is so great!

5) My dvd collection has had a lick of paint as well. I got a Panasonic Blu-ray player to go with the tv, and tested it with my star wars dvds. Lots of black and white space scenes, and lots of fast action and explosions, and the tv handled it brilliantly. Awesome stuff.

6) The SD card slot makes pictures from our camera look out of this world! The slideshow mode looks fantastic and way better than any digital frame I have ever seen.

7) The smart tv works very smoothly. I have it linked up via the ethernet socket, and it works very quickly and easily. There is a very good list of apps included (bbc iplayer works very well) and the layout is very nice too.

8) The sound quality is perfectly acceptable. You know with this kind of tv that the speakers are only going to be small and not so powerful, so you just have to accept this or buy external speakers. However, they do do a job and i won't be losing any sleep over them because they are good enough for me.

I hope thats covered eveything - it is a tremendous television, is an excellent addition to our living room and i highly recommend it!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Apr 2012 23:07:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Apr 2012 23:07:27 BDT
Paul says:
Does it have old style phono audio out? (Sometimes called component audio out, or analogue audio out). Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 23:11:40 BDT
david r says:
There is a component/video adaptor which goes into the AV2 slot (the SCART adaptor goes in AV1). I'm not sure if this is what you mean because I am not using it, but it is an adaptor with 5 sockets in it, and the manual says 3 of them are for viewing and 2 for listening. Looking at the manual, it seems there are different configurations for which you can use the adaptor, depending on the item you are connecting to it. Hope this helps and sounds like what you need!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 23:34:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Apr 2012 23:37:45 BDT
Paul says:
2 x RCA/Phono Plugs to 2 X RCA/Phono Plugs GOLD 1.2 Mtr Thank you David. That is helpful. Did the adaptor with the five sockets come with the TV? Is it like the picture I've linked to? And can you discern clearly that the 5 sockets are for video and audio OUT rather than IN?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 23:10:17 BDT
david r says:
Yes, the adaptor with the 5 sockets did come with the television, but no, it doesn't look like the picture you have linked, it is a specific Panasonic one for use with their tv's i think.
The 5 sockets on the adaptor are female, labelled as VIDEO audio l/r (white and red respectively), VIDEO Y/V (green/yellow) and COMPONENT Pb and Pr (which are blue and red respectively).
I've also looked at the specification in the back of the manual, and in there, it says that the audio l/r connection terminal is an RCA PIN Type x 2 with 0.5V(rms) (whatever that means!!) - that looks like it is what you want from the title of the link you gave.
Sorry i can't give a definite yes or no, but hopefully this is enough for you to make a decision!

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 16:30:09 BDT
What is the best way to wire up to sky I realize I will have to watch the same programme that is already showing also what Dongle do you recommend.
Many thanks Neil

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2012 19:03:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Apr 2012 19:05:56 BDT
david r says:
it depends which type of sky box you have. if its a HD box, then i'd have thought a HDMI cable would be best. If its a normal sky box, then i think you're stuck with a scart lead.
either way, so long as your sky + is fixed to the main aerial (as well as your tv), then you can record/watch on the sky + box, record/watch a second sky channel at the same time (both through the tv's HDMI/AV1 input), and then watch a third through the tv's built in freeview hd if your sky box is recording.
as for the dongle, i'm not sure i can help you there - like i said in my review, i have it wired up via an ethernet cable, so don't need a dongle.
hope this helps you!!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2012 19:02:20 BDT
Thanks David It is a normal sky plus box and the new tv will be about 8-10m away does this mean ill have to connect it with a coaxal cable or will I be able to get a decent long Scart cable/lead.
Many thanks Neil

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2012 19:51:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Apr 2012 21:01:07 BDT
david r says:
Like I mentioned in the review, I had to get a decent SCART lead since I only had a cheapo one. The one i got is only 1.5m but works superbly well. Here is the link to the 10 metre version of the same lead:
10 Metre Metal Plug, Gold Plated, OFC Scart Cable 10M Lead by Cable Mountain
Its a very chunky cable, and the ends feel solid as well. I've no doubt the 10 metre version will be fine. Check out all the reviews of the 5 metre cable (from this range), they're all very positive!!

Edit: Sorry, i forgot to mention you will need a coaxial cable going into the DVB/aerial socket on the tv to be able to use the built-in freeview hd

In reply to an earlier post on 27 May 2012 13:15:16 BDT
chrissie66 says:
I have been told that I need more than one scart socket in order to use both my sky+ box and gaming console, however the specs on this tv says it only has one. Is there another way around this?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2012 22:54:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 May 2012 22:54:31 BDT
david r says:
Yes, there is only one scart socket on the tv which you will probably use for your sky box.
As for the gaming console, it depends what console you have.
Some have HDMI connectivity which means you can just plug it into one of the 4 HDMI sockets on the tv. Others don't, so you would have to try something else. What do you have?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›