5.0 out of 5 stars Top class kit, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air B&W Wireless Speaker with Airplay (Electronics)
The quality of sound from this speaker exceeds that of my B&W MM1's (designed as speakers for computers), just. And that's saying something. The Zeppelin Air (ZA) edges out the MM1s because ZA will fill a very large room with gorgeous, rich, warm music whereas the MM1s are designed to be heard at close quarters. As with the MM1s, there is a very effective sound-stage, giving each instrument its own space floating outside the speaker enclosure. It makes for mesmerising listening.

Treble is crisp and true; midranges are warm and open, bass is authoritative and tight.

The fact that the ZA uses its own high quality digital-to-analogue converter instead of the cheap one inside your computer/iPhone/iPad (even over AirPlay) raises the quality of the sound it produces way, way ahead of other speaker docks.

Result: it sounds gorgeous.

AirPlay adds another dimension. (Unlike some reviewers I had no problems setting it up - it took no more than five minutes and worked first time). I use it with my O2 wireless router to stream music from my Mac Book Pro, iPhone and iPad. The Mac Book and iPad give a rock-steady feed that never drops. The iPhone link is prone to drop-outs maybe once each hour - it might be because of the poor phone reception in my area and interference from the phone's constant attempts to pick up a carrier. I don't know.

One thing is for sure: this is the best-sounding set of speakers I have ever bought and I absolutely recommend the ZA to anyone wanting to hear their favourite music at its very best.

The only criticism I have is that the bass is slightly too over-pronounced even when adjusted to the -3 setting provided by the speaker's software. An ability to go to -4 would be appreciated.

If you love music, its a no-brainer. Get one!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Apr 2012 09:30:30 BDT
Why is amazon showing such an expensive solution for this product when it is cheaper from both its own sponsored link lower down the page and from apple store both for less than 500 delivered

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 01:32:34 BDT
The bass is a little overdone you say? How long have you had it? Does it sound more even now it's run in?
Perhaps the source is overwarm, maybe? I know Radio 4 always sounds a bit cosy.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 02:00:26 BDT
jon says:
In response to J H Campbell's questions, I've had the ZA for 9 months, now. I know what you mean about running speakers in but, to be honest, a running in period tends in my experience to allow components to loosen up and deliver better and more impressive bass (in particular to other frequencies) than a recently unboxed product. So, I wouldn't expect my 9 month old speaker system to reveal less bass than the new one.

Rest assured, the slightly "warm" tone of radio 4 you may have become used to from an FM feed will transform to a rich and yet at the same time a crystal clear listening experience from a digital feed via the ZA.

After 9 months use (almost daily) I am still blown away by the quality of sound the ZA produces. It is still amazing. It is still a joy to listen to. I still really recommended it. Worth every penny.

Mine is sat on a wooden surface in a bay window and I think it is this factor which leads to the powerful bass. If I was that concerned about it I would have moved it months ago, but I haven't. It sounds great. I never want to listen to music or radio on anything else ever again!

I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 02:37:25 BDT
The zepplin is the Bose killer.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2012 16:10:29 GMT
Ca Marsh says:
jon: A question if I may. An acquaintance told me that the sound from this is "virtually mono" (exact words). Could you comment on that, please? I love to hear a wide(ish) stereo field and, while I accept that this may be less than that, I would not want "virtually mono".

Many thanks. Chris.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2012 20:00:17 GMT
Definately not mono - though the farther speakers are apart the wider and better the soundstage, I found this by adding an auxilliary unit to my Pure Digital Evoke 1-s, while fitting a 'tripod' formation of three stick on feet on the bottoms tightens up bass a bit - two at back one at front. Ever noticed three leg tables don't wobble?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012 00:56:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Dec 2012 00:57:46 GMT
jon says:
Chris,

I cannot understand how anyone could describe the sound from these excellent speakers as "virtually mono". After more than a year of very happy listening, I still stand by the comment in my original review: "there is a very effective sound-stage, giving each instrument its own space floating outside the speaker enclosure. It makes for mesmerising listening". This quote addresses the speaker's ability in relation stereo imaging, of course. I remain a firm advocate and continue to recommend. Give them an audition and see what you think.

Regards.

Jon.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012 01:09:11 GMT
Ca Marsh says:
MANY thanks, Jon. I'm going to do just that. Yours is the final, tiny, tiny push that I needed. Wifey thinks it 'looks neat' so there was another battle over (before it begun). Again, thanks.

Regards

Chris

Thanks to JH Campbell also.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2013 18:52:22 GMT
I've had a Bose soundock and thought it was good until I heard a Zeppelin totally outperforms it especially the Bass ,I'm now going too sell my Bose .ill never buy anything but a zeppelin again and it's the coolest looking speaker out there.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›